Founder

Useful links for buying food

Post by gonbechan »

Shizuman wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:52 pm
Wow some great links there thank you!

I can contribute some baking supply links
Tomiaz
This is Tomiaz and they supply amost everything you need for baking and cake work. The flour of here isnt too bad.

Ribbon
I get all my puff pastry from this site, works out cheaper than buying the stuff from the store in squares, too much waste that way.
Aprice, where i used to get my frozen puff pastry.. fucking changed the pastry recipe. It now sucks big time and is worse than the shitty one you can get at any Japanese supermarket.

So which one at Ribbon is the best and flakiest puff? I can make a quick puff pastry myself but sometimes you want all the flakey layery goodness that a whole day of labour on your part would bring you but instantly lol @Shizuman

Shizuman

Post by Shizuman »

Hahaha I know that day long feeling all too well.

To be honest I have only used their round puff sheets to make pies out of and they were great for meat pies, its been awhile though but I get the feeling they use pastry gems rather than butter in their mix so it may not have as butter a flavor. there is one listed as "special type" that has butter listed as an ingredient but i have no idea on the puff, I haven't used it.
I hope you find something good though.

Otona Cream Pie

Post by Otona Cream Pie »

Does it have anything to do with the whole annual butter shortage fiasco? I've avoided a few "famous" restaurants the past few years when I found out they were using margarine. Lately, even that 7-11 prepackaged junk proudly proclaims it's margarine Image

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Funnily enough, the pie sheets I used to enjoy from Aprice were made with shortening. But they were extremely flakey and delicious when cooked properly. The 'new and improved' version they now sell, says BUTTER INSIDE. however there are no clear layers to the puff and it comes out almost cookie like and rather bland. even my 'rough puff' that i make sometimes is better and flakier.