Summertime stamina

A forum for all things cooking, food or snack related
Tora

Summertime stamina

Post by Tora »

What do you eat or drink to help you deal with the lack of energy or motivation in summer. Cold wine, beer, cocktails, coffee and tea don’t seem to be working as well as they have in previous years. I’m getting worried it might be age catching up with me....

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Summertime stamina

Post by gonbechan »

anything vinegary or sour. Hiyashi Chuuka, watermelon with salt or lime and chilli powder.
But the very, very best thing is Korean samgyetang.

You can get herbs kits for that here on Kankoku Ichiba.
Its not just chicken soup but has ginsen and a really good balance of salt for hot days.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Summertime stamina

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Lots of fluid, don't know how widespread these are for sale but in many of our supermarkets there are Korean fruit vinegar drinks (Micho) that you dilute with water, throw in some sports drink powder for ions (I make them up at about 1/4 the recommended dilution) and tons of ice and you have a refreshing drink. At the end of the day throw in some shochu.

Another thing that seems to help is siestas, it's too hot to do anything in the middle of the day anyway so might as well sleep through it. Hit the sack at around 12 and sleep till 3.

donguri

Summertime stamina

Post by donguri »

I make a pot of mizu-dashi green tea with mint every morning and it's amazingly refreshing after working in the garden or doing kusa-kari. We get lots of tea from our neighbors, and I have a huge mint patch, so lots of dried mint always available. Just jam both in a tea pack and fill up the pot with cold water and let it sit. No heat involved!

Vinegar-type drinks are great too. I use the leftover juice from the small umes that I preserve -so it's ume, vinegar, sugar and salt. Just a little bit mixed with soda water makes an awesome Genki Drink!

Cucumbers! Cool, loaded with water and refreshing. I've got about 7 different kinds of cucumber preparations in the fridge at all times, so it's just a matter of putting them on a plate.

Garlic, chiles, and freshly picked vegetables. Cold noodles. Endless combinations.

donguri

Summertime stamina

Post by donguri »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:05 am

Another thing that seems to help is siestas, it's too hot to do anything in the middle of the day anyway so might as well sleep through it. Hit the sack at around 12 and sleep till 3.
Absolutely, this.

VanillaEssence

Summertime stamina

Post by VanillaEssence »

I’m an Aquarius Zero guy myself

Tora

Summertime stamina

Post by Tora »

I think I’ll try that Korean soup Gonbechan. I can’t remember if we’ve had it at our favorite Korean restaurant (highly recommend by owners of Korean restaurants we’ve gone to in other prefectures!) but I remember seeing something like it on the menu.

Zasso,
I’ve seen those drinks and yes vinegar is refreshing. I used to love using the ume vinegar I made for drinks and salad dressings.

Siestas are nice but every time I get to sleep my wife wakes me up for some reason or other and acts like I’m a lazy, good-for- nothing who sleeps all the time. Which is incredibly annoying as I don’t sleep all the time because she doesn’t know how to be quiet when other people are sleeping!!!

Donguri,
I need to get back to green tea. After all, you can’t drink coffee and black tea all of the time now can you?!

Fresh veggies and cold noodles make up a large part of my summer diet.

I’m currently on a refrigerator pickles kick. I’ve found it to be a good way to deal with odds and ends vegetables as well as all the cucumbers we gave been harvesting. When the pickles are gone, I just throw in more vegetables and top it up with a little more vinegar. I prefer the pickles sliced lengthwise. Okra is awesome after a day or two. Basil or other herbs really round out the flavor. I need to motivate myself to heat process some pickles for long term storage.

Chuck2

Summertime stamina

Post by Chuck2 »

I find eating one those Glico Papico chocolate coffee or dark chocolate frozen smoothies gives you great energy at the hottest time of day.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Summertime stamina

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Tora wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:07 pm
Siestas are nice but every time I get to sleep my wife wakes me up for some reason or other and acts like I’m a lazy, good-for- nothing who sleeps all the time. Which is incredibly annoying as I don’t sleep all the time because she doesn’t know how to be quiet when other people are sleeping!!!
What I do is "accidentally" make a loud noise while getting my clothes early in the morning and when Mrs Nouka wakes up I say "It's alright, you go back to sleep it's far too early for you to get up". Rinse and repeat and eventually you can enjoy uninterrupted siestas :twisted:

If you need quiet and it's not possible I can thoroughly recommend MOLDEX 6800 Pura-Fit Ear Plugs, short of someone working with a jackhammer nearby you can hardly hear anything. Order a big box of 100 pairs from the States and you will have years and years of peaceful sleep. They can be washed several times to prolong use.

Tora

Summertime stamina

Post by Tora »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:41 am

What I do is "accidentally" make a loud noise while getting my clothes early in the morning and when Mrs Nouka wakes up I say "It's alright, you go back to sleep it's far too early for you to get up". Rinse and repeat and eventually you can enjoy uninterrupted siestas :twisted:

If you need quiet and it's not possible I can thoroughly recommend MOLDEX 6800 Pura-Fit Ear Plugs, short of someone working with a jackhammer nearby you can hardly hear anything. Order a big box of 100 pairs from the States and you will have years and years of peaceful sleep. They can be washed several times to prolong use.
I’d be the one to suffer from sleepy wifey’s bad attitude all day long!

It’s not only her voice or other noise but the vibrations she and my sweet, lovely daughter make as they stomp around the house. “Grace” is not their middle name....