Tora

uses for steeply slanted land

Post by Tora »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tora

Post by Tora »

Donguri,
I meant jaga imo but bamboo really seems like it would be better in the long run. I felt like a wuss watching the old folks farming those steep potato patches and said “fu@& that!”. It seems the be the way it’s done in South America though.....

vapidspants

Post by vapidspants »

My first thought was that steep land in an area with snow should build a ski jump.

Can I ask what type of land is it (Sanrin 農地)? How did you find it and purchase it?

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

donguri

Post by donguri »

vapidspants wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:21 pm
My first thought was that steep land in an area with snow should build a ski jump.

Can I ask what type of land is it (Sanrin 農地)? How did you find it and purchase it?
We get a dusting of snow here maybe once or twice a year, and it's seriously a small piece of land. You'd slide down it in less than 5 seconds and then you'd land on a strip of road.

It's registered as farmland (nouchi 農地). It was part of the land that we bought along with our house. Honestly, I'd rather it hadn't been included in the land parcel, it's just troublesome to deal with.

donguri

Post by donguri »

@DocDoesFarming

This is now my most favorite thing on the internet!! :lol:

Insane

Post by Insane »

A lot of farmers around here own entire mountains, and they mostly use them for matsutake, with taranome being in the lightly wooded areas. I know this might not be helpful, but taranome does grow pretty much anywhere, and it does sell for quite a bit of money. Matsutake is something I don't know how to grow, except that I know it grows in pine tree groves. When one matsutake can get up to 10k yen, that's a pretty good investment considering they grow on slanted land.

donguri

Post by donguri »

Thanks, @Insane! Taronome is a good idea and we could certainly make use of them in the restaurant. Matsutake would be awesome, but I'm guessing it would take a number of years to get the trees established and then the matsutake .... the patch of land isn't all that big either. We do have shiitake going though, so maybe matsutake isn't such a stretch.