Western Woodworking Hand Tools in Japan

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
baragua

Post by baragua »

Hey gang, wondering if anyone here knows of a source for western woodworking tools in Japan--e.g., iron-body bench planes, hand/joinery saws, and the like. I have a modest collection that's currently on a ship, and I'm wondering if I'll be able to add to it once I relocate.

I'm definitely interested in Japanese hand tools and I suspect I'll get deep into that world, but I have a special affection for my old Stanleys, Disstons, and Millers Falls. Anyone know a place?

Tora

Post by Tora »

ScAmazon and Fleabay are your friends. Shipping is not that bad on some things. Power tools are where the import tools shine price wise if you can use them. Canadian and US tools work in western Japan on a plug and play basis but I think the lower Hertz is eastern Japan will be hard on your motets at the very least.

Also, a tool is a tool and learning to use new ones will make you a better craftsman until you reach a point where you really do appreciate the specific potential of each tool. Sometimes that potential is for gathering or lending to inexperienced or unreliable people or somebody with lower standards or needs.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Tora wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:52 pm
Power tools are where the import tools shine price wise if you can use them.
Totally second this, I bought a 7 piece Makita combo set in the UK and shipped that over with our household stuff that was a fraction of the price of buy one here. The only difference is the chuck in the impact driver is slightly different and I had to order a battery charger once we got here due to differences in voltage.

baragua

Post by baragua »

All my power tools are from a brand that's not available in Japan (Ridgid), so my plan was just to reacquire when I move. I was planning to buy in to Makita and was lead to believe that their made-in-Japan tools are better than what they sell overseas. (This guy's vids are always entertaining and informative.) I wonder if it really matters for moderate-duty use.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

I'm certainly not a pro but for casual use I can't see much practical difference, however the price difference is huge. I bought the seven set combo for almost the same price as several individual tools bought here plus I got a nice bag to carry them in and a Makita fleece jacket thrown in.

If you decide to go for a foreign combo kit once you get here there are plenty of people selling them online, one seller even tells you how to change the chuck over on the impact driver.

You mentioned Stanley tools earlier, Joyful Honda has a large Stanley section in their tool department so if you have one near where you will be living it might be worth looking in there for what you want. Plus there's always online.

baragua

Post by baragua »

Yeah, in the same boat--I doubt the extra quality/performance make a difference for my purposes. Hard to shake the gear fetish, though!

Speaking of, I found the Japan stockist for Lie-Nielsen, the company that makes woodworking hand tools for the wealthy: http://www.mirai-tokyo.co.jp/westernplane.html

That place charges a premium, but still probably less expensive than what it would cost to get this stuff shipped. Would love to have a couple of their tools some day. My humble collection is full of vintage tools that I picked up and restored from second hand shops and peoples' grandparents garage, but better craftspeople than me have done much more with much less!