soybeans

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
donguri

soybeans

Post by donguri »

Thanks, Zasso!

I think you may be right. The soybeans ALL had the little pellet nodules but nothing else in the garden did. Of course I’m relieved that it’s most likely NOT case of root knot nematodes (reading a bit about them, they sound truly vicious), but now I’m back to wondering why absolutely none of the pods developed actual beans.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

soybeans

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Well that's a relief, you can leave the roots in the ground as they will release nitrogen into the soil as they break down and feed a subsequent crop. As for the lack of beans I honestly have no idea, when you open a pod is it completely empty or is there the remains of a bean that has been eaten ?

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

soybeans

Post by gonbechan »

I still think its stink bugs or their larvae (nymphs). they have a long probuscus and can pretty much suck out the life of a bean using enzymes that liquidize the bean, leaving either tiny little beans, or sometimes what appears to be none at all.
The exterior damage to the pod is minimal.
the damage

stink bug (kamemushi) nymph
there are various kinds and most of them look very much like either weird ladybugs or even potato beetles when they are little.

donguri

soybeans

Post by donguri »

Most of the pods had what appeared to be the skin that covers the bean (hull?) but almost no starter beans. A few had what appeared to be a little seed-the beginning of a bean? similar to the photo Gonbechan posted, but most were empty. They looked plump and had the shape of being bean-filled, but no beans. ZERO.
Haven’t seen any of those type of bugs around, but it’s certainly possible. Ugh.
Some of the old timers in the neighborhood have suggested the soil is too rich. But in that case it’s usually an abundance of leaves with no/few pods. Mine had plenty of pods.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

soybeans

Post by Zasso Nouka »

You've probably thought of this already but how many between the formation of the pods and harvest ?

donguri

soybeans

Post by donguri »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:44 pm
You've probably thought of this already but how many between the formation of the pods and harvest ?
Ummm, how many what? between pods and harvest? Sorry, I'm not following here :lol:

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

soybeans

Post by Zasso Nouka »

donguri wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:22 pm
Ummm, how many what? between pods and harvest? Sorry, I'm not following here :lol:
Whoops sorry, my bad. How many days ? :oops:

Shizuman

soybeans

Post by Shizuman »

Hey im having some trouble with my soybeans I sowed in June, they went gang busters
and didn't have any issues, started seeing pods form after flowering but they all just disappeared before any fruit formed, any ideas what might cause that, I was hoping to use it all for chicken feed but looks like ill have to buy soy this year.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

soybeans

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Not sure why that would be, did they have very small beans in when the pods first formed ? Am wondering if kamemushi got to the pods and effected the forming beans because we noticed them on ours and started spraying spinoace regularly.

We grew edamame this year but because we left them too long they no longer taste good so are going for daizu instead now :doh:

Shizuman

soybeans

Post by Shizuman »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:56 am
Not sure why that would be, did they have very small beans in when the pods first formed ? Am wondering if kamemushi got to the pods and effected the forming beans because we noticed them on ours and started spraying spinoace regularly.

We grew edamame this year but because we left them too long they no longer taste good so are going for daizu instead now :doh:
Could be mate, the pods were barely developed before they disappeared though.

Haha oh well the price of chook feed is getting up there so not a bad way to cut costs maybe!