What's visible in the sky tonight

Shoot the breeze, chew the fat or whatever you fancy
Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

One of the benefits of working outdoors is to be able to see the sky in the evenings as you pack up so I thought it might be nice to have an astronomy thread listing points of interest currently visible so anyone who is interested can check them out as well.

Right now we have Venus, Jupiter and Saturn lining up in the early evening sky over in the south west. Venus and Jupiter are the brightest objects (apart from the Moon) in the dusk sky so are pretty easy to see, Saturn is much dimmer but in an almost direct straight line between them (somewhat closer to Jupiter). Well worth popping outside and having a butchers if you have some time to spare.

An easy way to find them if you are not sure where they are is to install an app like Google's Sky Map or SkyView lite on your phone. If you are using a case with a magnetic closure that may interfere with the internal compass so remove your phone from the case before starting up the app, you may need to re-calibrate your compass.

Early evening is also a good time to see satellites passing overhead. Although it's dark down here on the ground the sun is still shining for a brief while up where the satellites are orbiting so you can see some of them skimming across the sky. SkyView has an option to show you satellites visible from your location or there are other apps that will help you find them. The International space station and Chinese space station are both clearly visible when over your location and there are all sorts of other things visible.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

As luck would have it there is going to be a lunar eclipse tonight (friday 19th). It will mostly be visible over north and south America but we should be able to see the tail end of it here. Have a look early evening once the moon comes up and it should be visible.

Apparently it's going to be the longest lunar eclipse in the last 500 years so maybe worth having a look just for that.

OnionChutney

Post by OnionChutney »

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm sure my 4 year old son will be amazed (and ask me loads of questions... I should probably do some research before going home this afternoon)!
We think we've found our house in the countryside near Munakata City, but we want to be sure!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Always good to have a few ready answers to hand :lol:. Let's hope the clouds clear up for this evening :pray:

Otona Cream Pie

Post by Otona Cream Pie »

Need to make sure I have the Sky app on my new phone. Love this!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Skyview is pretty good, I even shelled a whole 200円 for the upgraded version. Have been watching all sorts of satellites and spent rocket bodies zipping across the sky in the early evening.

Otona Cream Pie

Post by Otona Cream Pie »

Light pollution a little bit of an issue over here :lol:

OnionChutney

Post by OnionChutney »

In Fukuoka we caught a really good view of the eclipse. I forgot to take any pictures, but it's stored on the ol' brain harddrive.
Thanks again!
We think we've found our house in the countryside near Munakata City, but we want to be sure!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

OnionChutney wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:52 am
In Fukuoka we caught a really good view of the eclipse. I forgot to take any pictures, but it's stored on the ol' brain harddrive.
Thanks again!
Nice one man :thumbup:, we had some misty low level cloud over this way that obscured the beginning but it cleared up about halfway through so could see it. What was quite amusing was the number of folk that were watching the eclipse, went into our local home centre and the staff in the outside section we all looking up every now and then to check the progress and in the supermarket car park you could see people looking up or taking pictures :lol: