Please introduce yourself
gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Small new farmer just outside Matsue-Shimane

Post by gonbechan »

MatsueMadness wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:48 pm

Ugh does it work on mosquitoes?? Cause I'll get that if it does, don't suppose you remember what it was called? I thought the standard Shikkui also helped to regulate the humidity and was one of it's benefits
Diatomaceous earth 'shikkui' does the same as the volcanic Ash one, it shreds insect carapaces and in the end they die. Its not like magically something walks on the wall and conks over dead lol but in the end, it gets them.

Mosquitos dont tend to walk around on walls so I doubt it would have much effect on them.
But you can plant certain plants around your house that deter them as well as have a little pond (or barrel) with medaka and other little fish.
The mosquito will lay eggs there and the fish will eat the larvae. Taking care not to have any other sources of stagnant water around is also good but its hard because you don't know what your neighbours are up to.

Plants that repel mosquitos

Tora

Post by Tora »

MatsueMadness wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:01 pm
DIY seems a bit more complicated than I'd like, buying a bag and adding water seems more like my style. Yeah I got some back walls upstairs that I'll practice with first not the main lounge room ones. What was the sealer you used?

….

Lucky, we got a carpenter next door in our rental - I'm going to do some pressure washing on his place and he'll come take a look and possibly help out, hopefully he has some retired mates that I can do the same deal with for some plastering help. What sealant did you use? Taping and masking will suck but well, I've done it with cars and bikes when I've painted them so same shit, just slower
I might go for a product if I did it again. Then again, I have a poor memory for pain and seem to be up for a learning opportunity….

We used “Shiro-Kabe sealer” 城カベシーラー on old shikkui walls. I used diy wheat paste and sand base layer on plaster board after taping and then missing the joints twice. Nothing on the tsuchikabe walls but lots of misting before plastering and it was not pleasant. Applying a second round of coats after failing on the sand-clay-lime mix of the first attempt was easier. I guess the first layer acted as something of a sealer and we didn’t really like the first color anyway. The sealed walls were really easy to do after the mud walls. My friends (used to do construction here and got advice from pros) used regular old white paint-the cheap kind- to seal their walls before applying super cool red and ochre colored shikkui (started with a bag of shikkui and added colorants and ¥100 calligraphy ink to really make the colors vibrant!). They mixed their dried shikkui up in a garbage can with a drill and paint mixer attachment just like me so I know they knew what they were doing ;) I bought new garbage cans just for this and was upset with how expensive they were compared to the cost of the plaster materials :lol:

It would be a good thing if your neighbor becomes your friend to some extent. Even if he doesn’t do any work, sometimes having someone to consult with on major things is a good thing. I have one carpenter friend that could probably be a DIY psychologist. I always felt better about my situation after him telling me that even the pros go through the same thoughts and actions.

MatsueMadness

Post by MatsueMadness »

gonbechan wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:50 pm
The sealer depends on the wall you are using it on.
If it is an already plastered wall like in a tatami room with a sandy texture then you need one specific to that.
If you will be plastering over rock sheet type boards or veneer boards then you want something they call ' ' which stops stains leeching through the plaster.
If you will be replastering a bathroom ceiling (old houses have this) then you need a waterproof sealant and special plaster for the ceiling.
Fair enough, won't be doing a bathroom ceiling we are using like plastic tiles(??) that are for the kitchen splash back kinda area. Rest of it will be coving plaster board (gib board, from google - drywall. plasterboard, wallboard, sheet rock, gypsum board, buster board, custard board, or gypsum panel) purchased and installed myself. We're changing the layout and adding walls so that akudome should be the right one. Thanks for that

MatsueMadness

Post by MatsueMadness »

Tora wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:11 pm

My friends (used to do construction here and got advice from pros) used regular old white paint-the cheap kind- to seal their walls before applying super cool red and ochre colored shikkui (started with a bag of shikkui and added colorants and ¥100 calligraphy ink to really make the colors vibrant!). They mixed their dried shikkui up in a garbage can with a drill and paint mixer attachment just like me so I know they knew what they were doing ;) I bought new garbage cans just for this and was upset with how expensive they were compared to the cost of the plaster materials :lol:

It would be a good thing if your neighbor becomes your friend to some extent. Even if he doesn’t do any work, sometimes having someone to consult with on major things is a good thing. I have one carpenter friend that could probably be a DIY psychologist. I always felt better about my situation after him telling me that even the pros go through the same thoughts and actions.
The colour adding would be interesting to try, might try that in the kids rooms. We will be starting from plain walls (fresh plaster board) as I will be gutting and putting in insulation throughout all the walls.

MatsueMadness

Post by MatsueMadness »

gonbechan wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:58 pm
MatsueMadness wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:48 pm

Ugh does it work on mosquitoes?? Cause I'll get that if it does, don't suppose you remember what it was called? I thought the standard Shikkui also helped to regulate the humidity and was one of it's benefits
Diatomaceous earth 'shikkui' does the same as the volcanic Ash one, it shreds insect carapaces and in the end they die. Its not like magically something walks on the wall and conks over dead lol but in the end, it gets them.

Mosquitos dont tend to walk around on walls so I doubt it would have much effect on them.
But you can plant certain plants around your house that deter them as well as have a little pond (or barrel) with medaka and other little fish.
The mosquito will lay eggs there and the fish will eat the larvae. Taking care not to have any other sources of stagnant water around is also good but its hard because you don't know what your neighbours are up to.

Plants that repel mosquitos
Damn this site is useful and full of helpful people. Will definitely be planting some of those flowers. No neighbours near me, well the closest is about 150 meters away so I class that as no neighbours. Will try my best at keeping stagnant water away, we have a free-flowing water tap coming out of the mountain. I have thought about making a little pond with a waterfall but the wife wasn't too keen. Maybe if I say they eat mozzies she'll be more receptive to the idea

Tora

Post by Tora »

MatsueMadness wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:25 pm

The colour adding would be interesting to try, might try that in the kids rooms. We will be starting from plain walls (fresh plaster board) as I will be gutting and putting in insulation throughout all the walls.
Sounds like a good plan. Apply 2 coats of joint filler. No meet for sanding if you do a clean job or clean up with the putty knife. Also, one of those brown rubber spatulas is great for mixing drywall mud as well as cleaning the last bits out of your bucket and off of your palette and tools. Wish I’d’ve found that out earlier on.

Don’t forget to take a break once on a while.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

MatsueMadness wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:30 pm
Damn this site is useful and full of helpful people. Will definitely be planting some of those flowers.
There's a type of geranium you can get that repels mosquitoes. You'll see them in Home Centres and they have a big label showing scared mosquitoes fleeing from the leaves, we have some around the cafe and don't see many mosquitoes there so maybe they do work.

donguri

Post by donguri »

Big plastic trash bins or big plastic tsukemono buckets work well for mixing up a hefty amount of shikkui- our neighbor had the big electric mixer (like a giant kitchen immersion blender) that he let us use during the project. Everyone else has already given good advice so I'll just add one more thing that may not have been mentioned yet- we were advised, and found it to be true, to leave the shikkui age overnight or a couple days, if possible, before spreading. It's possible to use it immediately after mixing, but SO much easier after the goo has rested. Just make sure it's covered on the surface with a thick sheet of plastic so it doesn't dry out.

MatsueMadness

Post by MatsueMadness »

donguri wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:19 pm
Big plastic trash bins or big plastic tsukemono buckets work well for mixing up a hefty amount of shikkui- our neighbor had the big electric mixer (like a giant kitchen immersion blender) that he let us use during the project. Everyone else has already given good advice so I'll just add one more thing that may not have been mentioned yet- we were advised, and found it to be true, to leave the shikkui age overnight or a couple days, if possible, before spreading. It's possible to use it immediately after mixing, but SO much easier after the goo has rested. Just make sure it's covered on the surface with a thick sheet of plastic so it doesn't dry out.
Yeah I saw that in the video gonbechan posted that it was left overnight. Good to know it makes it easier, thanks. I'll probably end up buying a paint mixer that I can attach to my drill, it was just a cheap basic one and I'll be upgrading soon so if it fucks out then no real lose. When we got our place we had the choice of it been emptied out or us throwing shit out, we chose to throw stuff ourselves which is probably going to cost us more, but we got some cool stuff. Also like 10 kerosene bottles, but also lots of big plastic bins I can use and then get rid of if they get ruined.

MatsueMadness

Post by MatsueMadness »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:52 am
MatsueMadness wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:30 pm
Damn this site is useful and full of helpful people. Will definitely be planting some of those flowers.
There's a type of geranium you can get that repels mosquitoes. You'll see them in Home Centres and they have a big label showing scared mosquitoes fleeing from the leaves, we have some around the cafe and don't see many mosquitoes there so maybe they do work.
Pelargonium citrosum - Thanks for the heads up will make sure to keep an eye out for them. I remember seeing this cool idea about 10 years back on tv. They used these things

So they put 2 together to make a globe, and added some extra strength somehow that I can remember, so it turned into a globe of green hanging, I think I'll put that geranium into those and hang them around. Should look pretty

huh, can't link amazon or I'm doing something wrong - MTB Garden Hanging Baskets 14" - Vintage Geo with Coco-Liner, Pack of 2, Hanging Planter Plant Hanger Hanging Flower Basket Chain Basket and Plant Growers for Home Balcony Patio Decoration