Gaijin/Overseas Income-Friendly Accountant?

A forum for city folk
baragua

Post by baragua »

I'm actually planning to sign up for one of those mail forwarding services, and it seems like all of the ones I've looked at provide a mailing address. If I were to sign up for one of those services, and incorporate as an LLC after the fact, would I be able to set the address provided by the service as the one for my LLC? Or would they need a more "legit" address? Feel free to tell me to ask an accountant :) In any case, appreciate you taking the time to share knowledge! This overseas move has been nutty, so I'm trying to make sure nothing big falls through the cracks.

UeNSaVOr

Post by UeNSaVOr »

Otona Cream Pie wrote: Why can't you contribute to a retirement account in the US?
As far as I understand, at least for the Roth IRA I already have, I can only contribute US income. I would have to stop claiming the foreign income tax credit and possibly open myself up to other tax liabilities and double taxation. In the end, nothing I looked at was worth it in the end, but there might exist something I don't know about.

Otona Cream Pie

Post by Otona Cream Pie »

baragua wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:12 pm
I'm actually planning to sign up for one of those mail forwarding services, and it seems like all of the ones I've looked at provide a mailing address. If I were to sign up for one of those services, and incorporate as an LLC after the fact, would I be able to set the address provided by the service as the one for my LLC? Or would they need a more "legit" address? Feel free to tell me to ask an accountant :) In any case, appreciate you taking the time to share knowledge! This overseas move has been nutty, so I'm trying to make sure nothing big falls through the cracks.
That's exactly what you're paying the service for. They open and scan anything they receive for you to download. You can also have them fwd anything to another address.

Otona Cream Pie

Post by Otona Cream Pie »

UeNSaVOr wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:47 pm
Otona Cream Pie wrote: Why can't you contribute to a retirement account in the US?
As far as I understand, at least for the Roth IRA I already have, I can only contribute US income. I would have to stop claiming the foreign income tax credit and possibly open myself up to other tax liabilities and double taxation. In the end, nothing I looked at was worth it in the end, but there might exist something I don't know about.
I'm not 100% sure that's the case. I was advised to contribute the max to my Roth IRA with only JPN income and US investments.

I used margin from my investments to contribute the max and then invested that. I guess it's technically US income since the investments are in the US but can't see why you can't do the same without opening yourself up to that tax mess.

UeNSaVOr

Post by UeNSaVOr »

Otona Cream Pie wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:59 pm
UeNSaVOr wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:47 pm
I'm not 100% sure that's the case. I was advised to contribute the max to my Roth IRA with only JPN income and US investments.

I used margin from my investments to contribute the max and then invested that. I guess it's technically US income since the investments are in the US but can't see why you can't do the same without opening yourself up to that tax mess.
Interesting. I'll poke around some more. Thanks!