Eco-Cute - Hot water heaters

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
MatsueMadness

Post by MatsueMadness »

So bad news, we were talking with a construction about helping with the renovations to get the Government grant of 70man (it has to be done through official channels and local companies, not buying something and showing a receipt to get the money reimbursed.

So now we are needed to look into getting an Eco-cute, the company had estimated it at about 35man total which seemed reasonable. But now the wife found out you can lease them which would mean no-upfront cost but a 10 year contract at 3000yen a month (3.6man a year, 10 years 36man). It apparently includes all maintenance, any issues would result in getting a replacement.

So how much do you have to do maintenance on them? What is the rough average life-span of them? In regards to upfront costs the lease is definitely the best deal, and hopefully in 10 years time the models are more efficient and we have the money to buy and install.

But if they are supposed to last 20+ years, is it better to just continue using a kerosene boiler and install and buy an eco-cute in a years time?

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Its prudent to drain it once a year ish .. and reset the breaker.. other than that. pretty much maintenance free.
Oh and way cheaper than city gas.. and way way way way way cheaper than propane.

Ours is about 15 years old now and still no problems.
It went out with one of the direct hit typhoon a few years ago but apparently it was the fault of water in the 200v meter and not the eco cute itself.

The ones your contractor is talking about is probably a small one. the leasable ones are big and usually cost over 60man. The small ones, so no bueno.
Run out of hot water really quickly if you aren't single lol.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

You can also lease an IH cooker apparently.
If you make your house all denka (no gas) then your electricity rate is cheaper.
Your fire insurance is also much cheaper.

MatsueMadness

Post by MatsueMadness »

gonbechan wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:17 pm
Its prudent to drain it once a year ish .. and reset the breaker.. other than that. pretty much maintenance free.
Oh and way cheaper than city gas.. and way way way way way cheaper than propane.

Ours is about 15 years old now and still no problems.
It went out with one of the direct hit typhoon a few years ago but apparently it was the fault of water in the 200v meter and not the eco cute itself.

The ones your contractor is talking about is probably a small one. the leasable ones are big and usually cost over 60man. The small ones, so no bueno.
Run out of hot water really quickly if you aren't single lol.

LOL city gas, we ain't got that. Ahhh right the size of the unit is something I didn't ask and should of looked into thanks. Maintenance sounds simple and easy enough so that's good. Yeah I got a kid and another on the way, so will be 4. Plus there's a chance her parents might make the move over at some point in the future as well. Hmmm might go lease then if we'd need a bigger more expensive one but I'll look around and find out some more info and unit size and prices. Wonder if they offer a buy it price at the end of the lease.

And in regards to your other message, yeah we'll be all electric as I don't want to pay for the gas bottle exchange which is way to pricey. Also I wonder if I leased, would they allow a solar water heater to be plumbed into it, cause I read the thread on here about those and that seems like a good idea and was leaning me towards buying

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

We have looked into leasing too, as ours is getting really old and I am sure one day it will give up the ghost.
From Kansai Denki the lease for the larger one like we have is about what your wife said.

I am sure they will say it is not possible to plumb in solar water system but be persistent and keep badgering them lol.

Tora

Post by Tora »

We leased. Our neighbor is an electrician and installs and repairs them. He said repairs average ¥50,000 or more per time and are more frequent than Gonbechan’s experience. Maybe he gets commissions for signing suckers up so they can’t switch other electric companies…. That’s kind of a joke as he’s been a great neighbor but the electric company man WAS sitting next to him….

We got cheaper electric rates when we signed up for the ecocute I think. We got a gas stove top cuz I don’t like the electric ones for many things. We have a fancy hot plate too. Gas does seem much more expensive.

I wish I would’ve looked more closely at the regular old “heat it once” simple tank style hot water heaters near the back of the catalog. It was a lot cheaper. Wifey was supposed to be in charge of that one but didn’t show up to the meeting and I was tired and had to make a decision that Friday afternoon to get our unit cuz all imports of building supplies from China were stopped due to the initial COVID outbreak.

I think the solar hot water heater just taps into one of the pipes on the tank that sit outside the house and shouldn’t be hard to add after the fact. I doubt the electric company wants to encourage you to do something that means less income for you. Your electrician or builder or Zasso Nouka might be able to offer a different/better opinion.

Tora

Post by Tora »

gonbechan wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:17 pm
Its prudent to drain it once a year ish .. and reset the breaker.. other than that.
Do you know why. I’ve never done it. Maybe I should. Maybe it will get rid of the funky plastic smell that’s been lingering since we got the unit. To be fair, I’ve noticed that smell from new smaller on demand water heaters. Maybe it’s just material off gassing?

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Tora wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:55 am

Do you know why. I’ve never done it. Maybe I should. Maybe it will get rid of the funky plastic smell that’s been lingering since we got the unit. To be fair, I’ve noticed that smell from new smaller on demand water heaters. Maybe it’s just material off gassing?
I think its to drain any sediment that builds up. Not sure. We at least haven't done it ever hahaha.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Tora wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:50 am
Your electrician or builder or Zasso Nouka might be able to offer a different/better opinion.
Thank you for the mention. As @Tora says the vacuum tube heaters tap into the inlet pipe of any eco-cute or boiler and deliver hot water to the device through a mixer valve that you can set to any temperature you want. Naturally your electric company would prefer you heat your water using their electricity but if they don't expressly forbid it then you can save quite a bit of money installing one.

They are for the most part pretty maintenance free with only the magnesium bar and the pressure relief valve needing annual checking and occasional replacement depending on the hardness of your water. We had to replace the relief valve after five years and it cost around 5,000円.

MatsueMadness

Post by MatsueMadness »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:21 am

They are for the most part pretty maintenance free with only the magnesium bar and the pressure relief valve needing annual checking and occasional replacement depending on the hardness of your water. We had to replace the relief valve after five years and it cost around 5,000円.
Thanks dude that sounds quite manageable. I've been looking into the solar water heaters, but 1 thing I'm confused at is this: If I have a traditional electric water tank and a solar water heater - What happens when it reaches the correct temperature? does it just run cold water through the solar heater to prevent that from getting damaged? does it release some hot water and start the cycle again? I'm a little confused and concerned that once it's at the set temperature in summer and no-one is using any hot water that it will damage the heater itself