Wood Burning Stoves

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
Chuck2

Wood Burning Stoves

Post by Chuck2 »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:05 am
As a point of interest are you placing a couple of lightly crumpled sheets of newspaper on top of the wood when lighting the fire ?
Thanks Zasso Nouka,
For lighting the fire we have been using those little packs of paraffin wax fire starter that came with the stove. Do you recommend using newspaper?

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Wood Burning Stoves

Post by Zasso Nouka »

I'm reluctant to burn anything other than wood or paper plus our neighbour's give us lots of newspaper for free so I have more money for Strong Zeros :lol:

The lightly crumpled sheets of newspaper on top of the starting wood are meant to burn quickly and warm up the inside of the chimney before than fire gets going. This helps get a good draw going but it also means the metal is warm when the fire is producing the most smoke so you get less creosote deposited in the flue.

dennisbart

Wood Burning Stoves

Post by dennisbart »

Hello! I am a first time poster and looking for some information about importing a wood burning stove into Japan.

I am purchasing a stove from a French manufacture and having it sent here. They don't have a rep in Japan and they don't sell a Japan "approved" product.

From what I understand, there should not be any issue getting it through customs. However, seems like there might be someone out there with more information or experience regarding this topic.

I appreciate any comments or advice.

Thanks!

Kind Regards,

Dennis

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Wood Burning Stoves

Post by Zasso Nouka »

In theory there shouldn't be any problems importing your stove so long as you have all the paperwork in order. You might want to speak to whichever customs office your stove is passing through to make sure what they need and double check with your exporter that they have sent you all of that.

If you know the name of the ship your stove is on you can track it's progress online so you know when it is expected to arrive in port and have time to prepare. Once it has been offloaded you should get notification from the shipping company and then need to get down there fairly quickly to avoid storage fees.

In my experience most customs offices are pretty helpful when you speak to them and should give you an idea of any import duties you will incur.

There is a post/thread somewhere here about a chap that imported his stove and the steps he went through to get it.

dennisbart

Wood Burning Stoves

Post by dennisbart »

Hello Zasso,

Thank you for your response! I will look for the post that you mentioned.

Kind Regards,

Dennis

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Wood Burning Stoves

Post by Zasso Nouka »

There are some posts about the import process earlier on in this thread. At least two people on the forum have imported stoves now and neither of them had any problems as far as I'm aware.

Good luck

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Wood Burning Stoves

Post by Zasso Nouka »

This video changed how we cut firewood.

Before we would cut shorter lengths so they could go in front to back or side to side and we tended to split our firewood on the thinner side so it would burn faster and hot. Now we cut lengths so they literally are just able to fit in the stove side to side with a few mm to spare and split them fairly chunky and once the stove has warmed up fill the firebox completely. So we're now putting this size logs in.

As he mentions in the video you reduce the amount of work on your firewood and don't have to keep refilling the stove, literally now it's once or twice in an evening and a final time with hardwood just before going to bed so it burns overnight. The stove does burn a tiny bit cooler but the inside of the house is still about 23 - 25C so not by much.

Tora

Wood Burning Stoves

Post by Tora »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:45 am
That video changed how I think about my hairstyle and where I used to live. He is just down the road from where I used to live.

I’ve been doing something like that recently, too. I do like to have some small stuff for starting fires in a cold stove or getting a nice hot fire going to heat up the house in the morning or if we’ve been out for a while. Unfortunately my wife likes to burn up all the small stuff when I’m not looking and often has trouble starting a good fire. Maybe I should get some of those fire starters for her :roll:
Last edited by Tora on Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Wood Burning Stoves

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Tora wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:14 am
That video changed your I think about my hairstyle and where I used to live. He is just down the road from where I used to live.
I used to have a slightly similar hairstyle back in the day then went for ass length dreadlocks while travelling around India and surrounding countries :lol:
Tora wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:14 am
I’ve been doing something like that recently, too. I do like to have some small stuff for starting fires in a cold stove or getting a nice hot fire going to heat up the house in the morning or if we’ve been out for a while. Unfortunately my wife likes to burn up all the small stuff when I’m not looking and often has trouble starting a good fire. Maybe I should get some of those fire starters for her :roll:
It does make it easier to get going with some smaller stuff so we do still chop up some wood small. He must have an absolutely massive stove to fit those whole logs in :lol:

edmundedgar

Wood Burning Stoves

Post by edmundedgar »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:45 am

Before we would cut shorter lengths so they could go in front to back or side to side and we tended to split our firewood on the thinner side so it would burn faster and hot. Now we cut lengths so they literally are just able to fit in the stove side to side with a few mm to spare and split them fairly chunky and once the stove has warmed up fill the firebox completely. So we're now putting this size logs in.

As he mentions in the video you reduce the amount of work on your firewood and don't have to keep refilling the stove, literally now it's once or twice in an evening and a final time with hardwood just before going to bed so it burns overnight. The stove does burn a tiny bit cooler but the inside of the house is still about 23 - 25C so not by much.
Mind blown.

I was under the impression that one of the main reasons for splitting the wood was to make it dry quicker, because the intact bark locks in the moisture or something. I don't know where I got that though. Does it need to sit for longer if you don't split it?