Wood Burning Stoves

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
Tora

Wood Burning Stoves

Post by Tora »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:35 am
I used to have a slightly similar hairstyle back in the day then went for ass length dreadlocks while travelling around India and surrounding countries
That’s some serious determination! :lol:
Zasso Nouka wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:35 am
He must have an absolutely massive stove to fit those whole logs in :lol:
I thought I heard him say he had a barrel stove.

I have to get logs under 15-18cm to get them in our long, little stove without a struggle. Under 7-8 if i want the wife to load the stove. Caught her trying to fill the thing up with kindling this morning :roll: She doesn’t have anything to do with cutting, hauling, or splitting wood :snooty:

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Wood Burning Stoves

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Tora wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:47 pm
I thought I heard him say he had a barrel stove.
That would explain why he can get such giant logs inside
Tora wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:47 pm
I have to get logs under 15-18cm to get them in our long, little stove without a struggle. Under 7-8 if i want the wife to load the stove. Caught her trying to fill the thing up with kindling this morning :roll: She doesn’t have anything to do with cutting, hauling, or splitting wood :snooty:
Maybe it's time to make the splitting experience a family affair for everyone to enjoy :twisted:

Tora

Wood Burning Stoves

Post by Tora »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:02 am
Maybe it's time to make the splitting experience a family affair for everyone to enjoy :twisted:
I thought so, too, and tried it once or twice. Now the wife and adolescent just tell me I’m an axehoe if I even suggest it now :lol:

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Wood Burning Stoves

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Oh well, at least you tried. I must admit I quite enjoy cutting and splitting wood, it's kind of relaxing and nice seeing your woodpile build up knowing that's going to keep you warm.

Something else we've just started doing this year is not cleaning the ash out of the stove everytime we light it. Another video we watched said it helps protect the bottom of the stove from the heat of the fire so the bottom plates last longer. No idea if it's true or not but we only clean the ash every 5 or 6 days.

Tora

Wood Burning Stoves

Post by Tora »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:00 am
Oh well, at least you tried. I must admit I quite enjoy cutting and splitting wood, it's kind of relaxing and nice seeing your woodpile build up knowing that's going to keep you warm.

Something else we've just started doing this year is not cleaning the ash out of the stove everytime we light it. Another video we watched said it helps protect the bottom of the stove from the heat of the fire so the bottom plates last longer. No idea if it's true or not but we only clean the ash every 5 or 6 days.
I agree on both points. Just got the ok for access to cut a couple years of hardwood and a loaner tractor and Kei truck to haul it out :dance:

I clean out the ash when i notice the interior of the stove is getting a little small :lol: it definitely seems to burn AND preserve embers better with a nice bed of ash in the bottom.

I just wish I could figure out what is causing the ash to solidify into sheets in the bottoms of my stove now. It only happens when I burn this mystery wood that really burns long and hot. Not sure if it’s something leaching out of the wood that isn’t burning up or if the temps are so high that the ash is solidifying. The tree didn’t have any bark or anything on it that might help with identification.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Wood Burning Stoves

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Tora wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:56 am
I agree on both points. Just got the ok for access to cut a couple years of hardwood and a loaner tractor and Kei truck to haul it out :dance:
Result !!! :dance: That's awesome, really nice to know you've got access to several years worth of warmth.
Tora wrote:
I clean out the ash when i notice the interior of the stove is getting a little small :lol: it definitely seems to burn AND preserve embers better with a nice bed of ash in the bottom.
We've noticed that as well, not quite sure why we spent so many years cleaning it out every time.
Tora wrote:
I just wish I could figure out what is causing the ash to solidify into sheets in the bottoms of my stove now. It only happens when I burn this mystery wood that really burns long and hot. Not sure if it’s something leaching out of the wood that isn’t burning up or if the temps are so high that the ash is solidifying. The tree didn’t have any bark or anything on it that might help with identification.
We get something similar with the ash making hard clumps. I was wondering if it was the creosote remover we throw in there every now and then but maybe not.

donguri

Wood Burning Stoves

Post by donguri »

We also leave a decent layer of ash in our stove, it burns much better that way and was actually recommended by the installation dudes. I don't think the caking of some of the ash is a problem, some woods are just different. As long as you're still getting a little airflow it should burn fine. Matsu wood should of course be avoided, but I think everyone here knows that already.