RV's/Motorhomes/Camping Trailers

Shoot the breeze, chew the fat or whatever you fancy
Otona Cream Pie

Post by Otona Cream Pie »

Any of you guys rocking a RV/Motorhome/Camping Trailer? Going to rescue (or attempt to) my beat up old Class B Dodge Van "Pleasure Way" (who thought this was a good name?!) from Niigata this weekend. I was worried enough about the drivetrain, now it looks like there be some light snow to deal with. (insert long teethsuck here)

I'm not sure if I will end up keeping it but it needs to get out of the winter wonderland before it's trapped there til May....figure it's best to clean it up and assess. (Pro's: Paid for, spare set of wheels Cons: Maintenance, Fuel Economy, Shaken, Requires teardown and prep before moving) If I do sell it, pretty sure I'll end up picking up a small camping trailer. (airstream? or go lighter with no license required)

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Looks like it could do with a bit of a wash :lol:

donguri

Post by donguri »

A couple months ago Mr Donguri bought a huge Winnebago RV with an engine that sounds like it’s from a ship! I believe the RV is from the early 90s and has fairly low miles/km on it. The plan is to gut the interior and fit it with appropriate infrastructure, then build a bar counter with basic kitchen functions. This will then become our mobile izakaya, a compact version of our actual restaurant/bar, able to seat 5-6 people inside or serve others outside. And we can sleep in the loft, so we can have fun sharing some beverages with the customers :dance: Lots of folks express interest in coming to party at our joint but lack a sober driver for the ride home. So we plan to start out by visiting nearby areas where we know folks, maybe once a month, and then possibly join some events from time to time.

The majority of the work has not been started yet, but that’s the basic idea.

Otona Cream Pie

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:31 am
Looks like it could do with a bit of a wash :lol:
It needs more than that.....the shop said it would be ready for pick up, battery charged and tires filled. I showed up with a friend....the shop owner was out in Nagoya picking up another car, staff had no idea I was coming, battery was dead, then it wouldn't crank all of a sudden. 5man later, I basically told the shop to get the thing to my local shop in Tokyo or I was heading to small claims court. :angry-cussing: They agreed...we'll see what happens now.
donguri wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:19 pm
A couple months ago Mr Donguri bought a huge Winnebago RV with an engine that sounds like it’s from a ship! I believe the RV is from the early 90s and has fairly low miles/km on it. The plan is to gut the interior and fit it with appropriate infrastructure, then build a bar counter with basic kitchen functions. This will then become our mobile izakaya, a compact version of our actual restaurant/bar, able to seat 5-6 people inside or serve others outside. And we can sleep in the loft, so we can have fun sharing some beverages with the customers :dance: Lots of folks express interest in coming to party at our joint but lack a sober driver for the ride home. So we plan to start out by visiting nearby areas where we know folks, maybe once a month, and then possibly join some events from time to time.

The majority of the work has not been started yet, but that’s the basic idea.
Sounds fun, mine is a '94, not quite Winnebago big, but sleeps comfortably and has been quite useful. Just worried about it's current shape and drivetrain reliability. When they start to fall apart, it's one headache after another. Leaning towards a camping trailer since they hold their value better and less to go wrong. (plus you can unhitch and drive without closing everything down)

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Hope you get it fixed without too much work needed.

Otona Cream Pie

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:00 am
Hope you get it fixed without too much work needed.
Now that I'm out of Covid Jail, I need to find out what's going on. No response is not a good sign :doh:

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

How come you were isolating ? Did you get infected ?

Otona Cream Pie

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:11 am
How come you were isolating ? Did you get infected ?
No, in fact the opposite. 4 negative tests in a 5 day span but TIJ, procedure trumps common sense and I flew in from California, an automatic 6-day sentence to Covid jail. I caught a cold during the 9 hours at a crowded, freezing airport terminal waiting for test results, buses, hotels to be set up. I though for sure I had caught omicron from these measures created to prevent the spread but 2 more negative tests and 6 days later, it seems like it was just a cold.

Seeing omicron spread like wildfire amongst very cautious individuals firsthand, I'm pretty much convinced nearly everyone will get it, gain immunity, and with any luck, that will be the end of the pandemic.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

It's a bit of a bummer having to isolate but I must admit I'm actually in favour of quarantine. Unfortunately tests aren't always accurate and if someone is newly infected they don't always test positive right away, as we have seen with several cases that initially tested negative and where sent to isolate at home and then developed Covid.

Mrs Nouka had to quarantine in a government approved hotel for just over a week when she returned to the UK and then when she returned home she wasn't allowed to go out for another few days and every day they would video call her at random times to make sure she wasn't out and about. It was a hassle but if done properly at the beginning of the pandemic we could have been like New Zealand and avoid any restrictions or voluntary lockdowns.

Otona Cream Pie

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:09 am
It's a bit of a bummer having to isolate but I must admit I'm actually in favour of quarantine. Unfortunately tests aren't always accurate and if someone is newly infected they don't always test positive right away, as we have seen with several cases that initially tested negative and where sent to isolate at home and then developed Covid.
Emphasizes: "4 negative tests in a 5 day span" Test neg before the flight and right after...initially 3 days at a hotel was normal and you were released with a neg test on day 3. That was reasonable enough logic....but in a vacuum as omicron is already exploding in Japan. Right before I flew back, it was upped to 6 days, depending on origin....which makes no sense as you either have it or you don't and a 5 day span is enough to detect omicron. Japan went more strict while other countries loosened restrictions...though now Japan has just now loosened it to a 10 day quarantine, more in line with the data. I got a pop up message saying I'm free...though the damn app can't even update the end date for me :lol:
Zasso Nouka wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:09 am
Mrs Nouka had to quarantine in a government approved hotel for just over a week when she returned to the UK and then when she returned home she wasn't allowed to go out for another few days and every day they would video call her at random times to make sure she wasn't out and about. It was a hassle but if done properly at the beginning of the pandemic we could have been like New Zealand and avoid any restrictions or voluntary lockdowns.
Yeah, same deal here with the random video calls and GPS check ins. This would have been a good strategy at the beginning of the pandemic but implementation now with omicron already tearing through the country, seems as pointless as the ABENOMASKs and at great economic cost.