Another Fukuokan

Post by edmundedgar »

crew wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:58 pm
OnionChutney wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:12 pm
crew wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:49 am

As if I wasn't worried enough, its on a classified landslide risk zone!
I don't know much about the effectiveness of a bamboo barrier.

Landslide zone must be a tough place to live...! Does it happen often?
I don't live there yet. But before doing any research, I bumped into the neighbor and the first thing he said was that place does not get affected by typhoons at all. So I was quite surprised to see it in a landslide special warning zone :(.
I've got friends living in landslide zones. Generally it's fine - the zone is determined by a survey identifying high-risk areas and it doesn't mean it's gradually subsiding the whole time. The problem is that during some future typhoon the slope up above you could suddenly give way and then you'll no longer be fine.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Another Fukuokan

Post by Zasso Nouka »

edmundedgar wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:31 pm
I've got friends living in landslide zones. Generally it's fine - the zone is determined by a survey identifying high-risk areas and it doesn't mean it's gradually subsiding the whole time. The problem is that during some future typhoon the slope up above you could suddenly give way and then you'll no longer be fine.
That's a really good point, we had a landslide near us that has survived innumerable typhoons and then one day in an ordinary heavy storm it gave way and narrowly missed a house, even made it onto the evening news and everyone around went down there to gawp at it and suck their teeth.

The house lost their garden and little hatake plot but fortunately the building itself was spared. Took quite a while to clear everything up as there were trees mixed into the flow of soil so a heavy yunbo was needed to get them out of the mud.

crew

Another Fukuokan

Post by crew »

edmundedgar wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:31 pm
crew wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:58 pm
OnionChutney wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:12 pm

I don't know much about the effectiveness of a bamboo barrier.

Landslide zone must be a tough place to live...! Does it happen often?
I don't live there yet. But before doing any research, I bumped into the neighbor and the first thing he said was that place does not get affected by typhoons at all. So I was quite surprised to see it in a landslide special warning zone :(.
Yea, its a case of you are fine until you aren't. I don't want to be that guy in the news they trash on the internet because he lived in a landslide warning area and ignored the warnings. haha. At the same time, so many houses seem to be in the red zone. I don't know what to make of it!

OnionChutney

Another Fukuokan

Post by OnionChutney »

Renovation work will start on our house this week, so I made a quick video, to show the state of the house before it's "fixed".

Bought the house, now it's time to renovate!

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Another Fukuokan

Post by gonbechan »

stellar squatting technique you have there.

OnionChutney

Another Fukuokan

Post by OnionChutney »

gonbechan wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:40 pm
stellar squatting technique you have there.
My legs still ache

NS49

Another Fukuokan

Post by NS49 »

Great vid OnionChutney :clap:
Whenever I see your name, I want to eat a ploughman’s lunch. How long do you expect the renovation to take? Are you doing all or some of it yourself?

OnionChutney

Another Fukuokan

Post by OnionChutney »

Getting a local company in to do the heavy work (smashing and building). I was a painter and decorator back in England, so I want to tackle as much of the interior as possible.
But we want to move in by April, and the missus doesn't want to live in a building site for a few months... So I'll have to let the company do some of the fun bits too I'm afraid.

3 months total to get the basics done (plumbing, electrics, windows, doors, etc)

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Another Fukuokan

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Nice video, certainly had me chuckling several times and a nice way to see the house before you start work on it.

czaujapman

Another Fukuokan

Post by czaujapman »

OnionChutney wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:54 pm
3 months total to get the basics done (plumbing, electrics, windows, doors, etc)
3 months that's pretty good!
House looks solid and pretty spacious, plenty of work to finish by Aprli (this year?) :shock:
We just bought in Yamanashi, more for the land than the house. And since it has some termite damage it will be detonate or renovate? sort of situation.
“My technique is don’t believe anything. If you believe in something, you are automatically precluded from believing its opposite.” ― Terence McKenna