Looking to make outdoor activities (hiking, camping, backpacking, etc) more accessible to foreigners

Have somewhere you'd recommend to other members ? Or somewhere you really enjoyed and want to share.
BossHoggDuke

Looking to make outdoor activities (hiking, camping, backpacking, etc) more accessible to foreigners

Post by BossHoggDuke »

Hi everyone. Ive been living in Japan for 12 years. Throughout this time I’ve become an avid hiker and camper. Im currently working to create solutions to make nature/ outdoor activities more easily accessible for foreign travelers and residents in Japan.

If you have done any outdoor activity in Japan (hiking, camping, backpacking, etc), I would like to know what problems, if any, you encountered during the activity or in the process of looking for the activity. I have created a simple multiple choice questionnaire. It will take no longer than 2 minutes to complete and requires no personal info.

Thank you for your time!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... sp=sharing

Savot

Post by Savot »

Would love to hear about anything to make hiking more easily accessible! I've been getting into hiking since moving to an area where there seems to be a dozen mountains for each local resident. The main difficulty I've come across is finding information in Japanese (let alone English) about the less well-travelled trails around here (e.g., estimated timing, difficulty-level, terrain, rest stops). The internet is full of step-by-step guides for the really popular trails, but it would be nice if there was a single place to go to for information on the less popular tracks. That said, I did find the '山と高原の地図' series of maps very helpful - but they only contain so much information.

czaujapman

Post by czaujapman »

Hey,
answered your questionnaire. My Japanese friend borrows (Japanese) hiking books from library, those are definitely best for less known routes and trails from what I've seen. YAMAP is my favorite App so far although like most Japanese apps is not perfect. I can search in English but pretty soon hit the kanji which I still struggle with, especially the mountain names etc. :roll:

Problems:
For most foreigners it's definitely the language barrier, everywhere. With Japan being pretty much monolingual country, just making a booking in yama-goya can be pretty hard. I also think there's a fair amount of logistics involved especially for multi-day hikes, which there are plenty here. Again easy enough for those with command of the language but not so much for foreigners on their own.

For example:
Hiking the Kitadake/Ainodake/Notoridake here in Yamanashi is spectacular, but requires fair amount of prep, at least 1 night in the goya/campsite and if doing the popular route you need to get to bus that goes to the base of the climb. Same goes for say rafting - we've been to Gunma and Yamanashi both great and with English speaking Nepalese guys. However most info online was in Japanese, hard to find in English I would think.

Short answer:
Make more information available in English. For hiking probably use YAMAP as a baseline and build on that. Portal with links to hiking/rafting/skiing/canyoning split by prefecture? Get the outdoor businesses to update the info themselves in English. That would be my thinking anyways.

Good luck, gread idea!
“My technique is don’t believe anything. If you believe in something, you are automatically precluded from believing its opposite.” ― Terence McKenna