What is this?

A forum for city folk
Savot

What is this?

Post by Savot »

Chuck2 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:34 am
Do you live by the sea? If so, I'm pretty sure I know what they are.
No, we’re a couple of hours drive away from the sea. They do have a nautical feel about them though. Initially I thought they might be mooring buoys, but a glass buoy seems less than useless!

What do you think they are?

VanillaEssence

What is this?

Post by VanillaEssence »

Savot wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:00 am
Chuck2 wrote:
No, we’re a couple of hours drive away from the sea. They do have a nautical feel about them though. Initially I thought they might be mooring buoys, but a glass buoy seems less than useless!

What do you think they are?
Looks like they are glass buoys. From an era before plastic, glass was actually a step up from wood or cork

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

What is this?

Post by gonbechan »

Chuck2 wrote:

me three.. they usually have a rope net covering them like this ..

Tora

What is this?

Post by Tora »

Glass Fishing floats for big nets and traps. I read somewhere that on very big factory ships that went out on long voyages, they sometimes even had a glass furnace onboard and made them on the ship. Just thinking about the logistics about that makes it seem Unbelievable!!!

Google “glass float” or something like that for more info.

The infamous glass artist Dale Chihuly used them for some of his art installation work over the years. Many glass studios in the US still make them as art pieces. I really like Eben Horton’s idea of hiding them on an island so people can visit the island and go on a treasure hunt. Like an Easter egg hunt for adults and kids alike!

Savot

What is this?

Post by Savot »

Wow, that thoroughly solves that mystery! I would've thought they'd be too prone to shattering when they hit each other or a boat to make them useful, but clearly that's not the case. Looks like they're called ビン玉 according to Wikipedia.

It's good to have such a knowledge brains trust to draw on. :D