Has anyone lived near a tire shop?

A place for properties in the countryside
UeNSaVOr

Post by UeNSaVOr »

I found this place in an area that seems OK, backs on to woods on at least one side, close enough to town for the wife, and already has some gardening going on. A little close to the road and the house needs to be redone, but that's not an issue for me.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

You're going to have the obvious mechanical sounds from that kind of business, compressor driven power tools to remove the wheel and compressors firing up every now and then to recharge the tanks but from their hours of business it doesn't look like they are working late at night or early morning and closed on sundays but you can probably expect occasional late working if they get a rush on or something.

I'll qualify this by saying I've never lived near a tyre shop but maybe they aren't the noisiest neighbour to live near. Have you just hung around the area on a typical weekday to see how noisy they are.

Do they have a huge pile of old tyres stored on site ? I think it's becoming increasingly rare for out of the way tyre shops to burn or dump their tyres. We have to pay a disposal charge when getting rid of old tyres now at our local garage shop and they seemed genuinely shocked when I joked that I'd take our old tyres home and burn them, so maybe all bigger tyre shops send them off for proper disposal/recycling.

If the building is unregistered doesn't that make rebuilding on the same site problematic ?

がけ条例該当 - Sounds a bit scary, perhaps someone else can clear that up. Could it be an issue in typhoons ?

上水道配管は隣地を通って引き込み - Is that going to be an issue with the neighbours later on or if new neighbours move in ?

UeNSaVOr

Post by UeNSaVOr »

I plan to go check it out, pending wife approval, and see how noisy it is. There's not really anywhere nearby to hang out, though, except when checking the property itself.

The Google Maps image is several years old, so I don't know the current condition of the tires around the property. I definitely would not accept having a bunch of them lying around that become my responsibility.

I took the unregistered building to mean there might be another one on site, but if it means the main building... yeah, that would be not great. I will clarify that.

Thank you!

Edit: がけ条例該当 is defined depending upon the region. The hazard map doesn't show anything for the area. There aren't any big enough topographical differences to make it on the map.

For 上水道配管は隣地を通って引き込み, there are various ways in which it could be an issue. I'm also asking about running new pipes. If no rebuilding includes this and there's no way around it, I think it's a no-go.

Tora

Post by Tora »

Looks like you might get a lot of free used tires. Holy hell there’s a lot of them. Maybe he’s planning to sell them to a prefecture/town/city that burns them to generate power (yes, that is a thing). Tires stored outside catch rain water which then becomes a breeding ground for mosquitoes….

Maybe you could use the tired to make an Earthship or a tire core earth berm for privacy

That house looks like it might need a new tin/galvalum roof- it’s not rocket science but it is an expense bringing in water is insanely expensive. The plot next to us sits empty cuz a new builder would have to extend the water line under the road for 100m. I think the rough estimate of ¥1million was optimistic at best. Digging up roads ain’t cheap.

I’d recommend going to check the place out multiple times are different points in the day and week. It should help you get a good idea of what it is really like around there. Maybe take/rent a bike and do some cycling or use it as a new sanpo course. Stop and talk to some locals or people out for an walk and hint that it seems like a nice place to live. Tell people you live nearby, are visiting a friend or are staying nearby to get away from the Tokyo heat. Anything to make your presence there seem more normal and not weird by their standards. Wonder out loud “if it’s noisy living near a tire place like that…”

Not trying to put you of but those are things you might consider.

UeNSaVOr

Post by UeNSaVOr »

> Maybe you could use the tired to make an Earthship or a tire core earth berm for privacy

I actually was thinking of exactly this, if they didn't take the tires, but I think there's 0 chance I can get that approved and insured, hah. There's another auto repair shop a couple hundred meters down the road and, looking on Google Maps, it's the same story: shitton of tires.

Good advice as well on the other points. Thanks so much!

Otona Cream Pie

Post by Otona Cream Pie »

I worked at a wheel/tire shop decades ago. Zasso called it about the compressors but it's probably much less noisy nowadays with battery powered tools. (they will still need the compressor for the tire mounting machine and inflation though)Good idea to go there on a day the shop is open and running to get an idea of the noise. On the other hand, much less worry about oils and other fun waste to deal with.

Eric in Japan

Post by Eric in Japan »

UeNSaVOr wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:35 am
> Maybe you could use the tired to make an Earthship or a tire core earth berm for privacy

I actually was thinking of exactly this, if they didn't take the tires, but I think there's 0 chance I can get that approved and insured, hah. There's another auto repair shop a couple hundred meters down the road and, looking on Google Maps, it's the same story: shitton of tires.

buy a cheap prefab and install it on-site. This is your "residence." Have it inspected, then build your earthship and live in it.
"... so, the cucumbers said to the cabbage, `Lettuce Go.`"

Otona Cream Pie

Post by Otona Cream Pie »

Eric in Japan wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:49 pm
UeNSaVOr wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:35 am

buy a cheap prefab and install it on-site. This is your "residence." Have it inspected, then build your earthship and live in it.
It's funny how many structures are built here AFTER inspection. It becomes an issue when selling but you don't plan on leaving, the authorities don't seem to take any action.

UeNSaVOr

Post by UeNSaVOr »

I figured I should give an update. I pretty much gave up on this, and the real estate agent never got back to me on my additional questions.

I'm currently working on another property and actually have a bank that seems willing to play ball (I have no PR and switched jobs 6 months ago). If all goes well, I'll make a post about it all. It also has registered farmland, so I'm not getting my hopes up until after I've talked to the 農業委員会 as well.