The Simple Life Diet and WORKOUT thread!!

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Re: The Simple Life Diet and WORKOUT thread!!

Post by gonbechan »

Zucchini and cauliflower are your friends on a low carb diet.

Cauliflower can be 'riced' and mashed. You can even make yakimeshi with cauliflower.

Zucchini is a great pasta substitute. Sometimes referred to a Zoodles.

Zucchini Pasta Recipes

Things to do with cauliflower.

paradoxbox

Post by paradoxbox »

Sorry for the slow response,

Basically anything that is sweet, or has a lot of sugar in it, including natural sugars like in apples or beer, is loaded with energy.

I guess it is worth mentioning this:

If you don't COMPLETELY cut carbs out of your diet at the beginning, your body won't switch over to non-carb mode which is what makes people burn so much fat when they first get on an atkins or other no-carb diet.

But.....

You don't really need to cut ALL carbs if you do not want to or just can't for whatever reason. The idea is to just reduce carbs (Starches, sugar) as much as you can handle, because most people take in far too many calories via carbohydrates than they need, which results in getting fat. So as long as you're keeping an eye on calories, you can still lose weight. It's just that cutting carbs completely will give you a quick surge of weight loss at the start. For me, I lost something like 8kg in the first week and then 6kg more over the next 3 weeks, then it slowed to about 1-2kg per week. I switched over to just calorie counting and ate carbs again once the weightloss had slowed to a slower level since it didn't seem to make much difference, but I avoided processed sugar as much as possible.

As for drinking alcohol, I think they're all pretty much bad for weight loss, they all have carbs in 'em so just drink what you want and keep in mind the amount of calories you've taken in rather than worrying about the carbs in them. If you like chu-hai, go for it, but remember that it counts like eating a katsu sandwich or two every time you have one tall can. Something like vodka is probably the least worst, but the best thing is to just get addicted to water. If you really start in on a strict diet and workout plan this will likely happen naturally, you'll just start craving plain old water.

Good advice about zucchini - I had no idea they could be used to make noodles. That sounds pretty good! I typically slice my zuchini up and dip it in tatziki sauce or deep fry it and dip it in tatziki..!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Great advice man, thanks.

I think being able to see some immediate results makes this way of loosing weight more sustainable and the fact that you only need to give your treats up for the first 3 weeks makes it more likely that you can stick with it. Having to abstain for months on end or more is likely to cause backsliding IMHO, once you see you've achieved good results it's more likely to spur you on to keep it up.

paradoxbox

Post by paradoxbox »

Seeing quick results definitely provides a boost to your willpower in the beginning. But the quick loss stops after around one or two weeks and then you have to slog it on through the slow period, so I like to get really into training and healthy foods when I need to reduce weight quickly. Being so focused on healthy food helps deal with cravings for junk food that will set you back.

Last night I weighed in at 68kg which is about 8kg more than my target for summer. I'm looking to be at 60kg and around 12-15% body fat by July 1st. We'll see how things go! Have officially resumed my ass-kick workout which was just impossible when the house was freezing cold (Try sweating in a room that's sub zero..no thanks!) Hopefully I can slim down the chest and beef up the arms and glutes. For all their size the glutes seem to be the hardest to shape up :(

I urge anyone else who wants to lose weight too, post up your weight here and maybe a "before" shot if you want, and let's watch your progress. Having your weight out on public record will really give you a reason not to fail!

I think I'll update this once every week or two with my own status, hope everyone else joins in if you're a little on the heavy / unhealthy side!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Both of us received a nasty shock at the weekend when we tested ourselves on my mother in law's diabetic meter and had a very unpleasant shock so we're bringing our plans forward and will start in earnest either this week or next. Will post something on this thread when we actually begin.

paradoxbox

Post by paradoxbox »

Glad that you caught that in time. Pre-diabetic conditions can be reversed with good control of your diet.

A non-carbohydrate, low sugar diet will not only make you lose weight but take you way out of the diabetes zone in a real hurry.

xxxxtom

Post by xxxxtom »

Might be good for business ZN it was all due to my wonder veggies.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

And so it begins...............

106kg on the scales and a blood sugar level of of 148 mg/dL on my mother in law's reader. How are others doing ?

xxxxtom

Post by xxxxtom »

Well I can't say exact weight but 3 weeks ago in Brisbane it was 84kg. I haven't bought a set of scales yet but I'm pretty sure its 86 kg.Usually I put on weight in Japan mainly due to as Paradoxbox stated the dreaded carbs. Bread, potatoes, rice and noodles and pasta (that's in order of preference) being converted to sugars. Beer is not coming into the equation I'd rather miss out on bread and that's saying something.
Cut the carbs and the weight will fall.
Cheers

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Thanks Tom & Paradoxbox,

We've totally cut out the sugar and are trying to cut out as much carbohydrates as possible. No more rice, potatoes, bread, pasta or noodles and alcohol gets the chop from the beginning of next week, that's going to be the toughest part for me personally.