Kominka

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
xxxxtom

Re: Kominka

Post by xxxxtom »

Looks like you are progressing well with your house. I admire your cooking process. A couple of questions do you use charcoal one side and wood on the other or just charcoal? Also are you heating your water similarly?

BrettRas

Post by BrettRas »

It sure looks like you're dealing with the type of glitter wall material that is likely to have asbestos. You wouldn't be sure of course unless you had it tested, but I'd certainly assume it contains it unless confirmed otherwise.

I did decide that in my particular case, removing the material in the one room with glitter wall was not going to be a reasonable option.
There are no disposal options on the island, and of course no removal companies either.

I thought a lot about what was the best option, and decided the best way to deal with it (in this case) was to seal it in under shikkui. In an area with disposal options, and/or removal companies, I might very well have decided otherwise.

Also, the amount of material in my case was not very extensive, and the walls themselves are natural earth walls. The walls themselves do not contain asbestos.
You should be aware that older plasterboard (sheetrock) used for walls was often made with asbestos as well. So it may not be just the glitter covering you are dealing with, but the wall itself. Also acoustic tile-type ceilings...well, the list goes on unfortunately. Houses of a certain in-between age especially can be fraught with these materials.

As far as the previous owner not remembering, it wouldn't surprise me if he simply never knew or paid attention. There wasn't much awareness among the average person, I imagine.

BrettRas

Post by BrettRas »

xxxxtom wrote:Looks like you are progressing well with your house. I admire your cooking process. A couple of questions do you use charcoal one side and wood on the other or just charcoal? Also are you heating your water similarly?
Thanks Tom,

Planning on using the kamado on the left in the future. The stove pipe is no longer connected to the outside, so I want to work on that before I could use it with wood. I could use it with charcoal as is but for now the shichirin on the right of the kamado is more efficient for smaller portions being cooked. If/when we start doing workshops out of this house, we will likely use the kamado for tofu making, etc.

Do you mean heating water for cooking use, dishwashing, etc? If so then yes, all the hot water for the kitchen comes from heating it on the shichirin. There is always residual heat leftover when cooking, so putting the kettle on afterwards makes full use of the heat. I try to keep a supply of hot water (or at least warm) in a big insulated pot. There is a boiler connected to the kitchen, but I don't use it. I do use the kerosene boiler for showers here because the bathroom was remodeled at some point and it isn't currently an option to heat it with wood. :( I'd love to remedy this sometime in the future!

BrettRas

Post by BrettRas »

Floor has tatami and and this room is officially ready for use!
IMG_2308.jpg
IMG_2308.jpg (34.79 KiB) Viewed 553 times

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Looking amazing Brett.

xxxxtom

Post by xxxxtom »

Good stuff Brett , one room ticked off the list. It is looking great. Out of Interest is your engawa off to the right of the tokonoma? Are you going to use it for guest accommodation or purely for yourself?
Cheers

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Looking great Brett, really does look seriously good.

BrettRas

Post by BrettRas »

xxxxtom wrote:Good stuff Brett , one room ticked off the list. It is looking great. Out of Interest is your engawa off to the right of the tokonoma? Are you going to use it for guest accommodation or purely for yourself?
Cheers

Yes, it is off to the right of the tokonoma.

The plan at the moment is to run programs/workshops out of here. I don't have any plans to rent it out to guests for profit, but it could certainly be a place for folks to stay if we are offering a multiple day workshop or something of that nature.

iamsen

Post by iamsen »

I love those window shades. Did they come with the house or did you source them from somewhere?

BrettRas

Post by BrettRas »

Do you mean the shoji to the right of the tokonoma? Those were there, I just cleaned and re-papered them.