Seasonal Foods

A forum for all things cooking, food or snack related
Eric in Japan

Re: Seasonal Foods

Post by Eric in Japan »

gonbechan wrote:Grilled with some lemon is always very tasty.
Sudachi or Kabosu.... Hmmm... which to pick?
"... so, the cucumbers said to the cabbage, `Lettuce Go.`"

Makichan

Post by Makichan »

Hello Eric.

I prefer kabosu but I think either would be just as tasty. Do you grow your own ?

Eric in Japan

Post by Eric in Japan »

Makichan wrote:Do you grow your own ?
Yep. They and yuzu are the only citrus to reliably fruit up here. But I get loads.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Are kabosu ok with cold winters then Eric ? We've tried mikan and lemons and they couldn't tolerate our winter, yet our yuzu are doing really well. Had our first baka yuzu last year and it was a giant.

Eric in Japan

Post by Eric in Japan »

Zasso Nouka wrote:Are kabosu ok with cold winters then Eric ? We've tried mikan and lemons and they couldn't tolerate our winter, yet our yuzu are doing really well. Had our first baka yuzu last year and it was a giant.
They do fine here. We even have three mikan trees with some fruit, but it is pretty sour. My neighbor grows some in his old greenhouse, they come along nicely. Lemons are a no-go though. But I like to use my sour citrus the same as lemons anyway.

Just find a rather steep south facing hillside, and plant them about halfway up it. The cold air drains down, and the hillside reflects just enough heat to keep them alive. Or plant them right up against the side of your house.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Thanks Eric,

We have a SSE slope that might do the job, do you reckon it might be too late this year to plant a couple and better to try in the spring or think maybe now is ok ?

How was the salmon by the way ?

Eric in Japan

Post by Eric in Japan »

I think spring would be better. You can dig the planting holes and add soil amendments now though, to give it a chance to mellow out before spring.

The salmon was salty as all get out. Not bad though. I washed a lot more salt out of it.

Salmon number three is now gutted, gilled, salt rubbed, and chilling in a box on the deck for two days before being hung for two days, and then smoked, as per another salmon club member's advice.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Eric in Japan wrote:I think spring would be better. You can dig the planting holes and add soil amendments now though, to give it a chance to mellow out before spring.
Sounds like a good plan, I'll prepare a couple of places over the next few days.
Eric in Japan wrote: Salmon number three is now gutted, gilled, salt rubbed, and chilling in a box on the deck for two days before being hung for two days, and then smoked, as per another salmon club member's advice.
Sounds lush. Do you catch them yourself Eric ?

Eric in Japan

Post by Eric in Japan »

I joined the "Seiryu no sato kai" or something like that. The Prefecture lets us take 100 salmon (and we do some with the local elem. school), strip the eggs and milt, and raise them to fingerling size. Then we let 10-12,000 go in March with the local elementary schools.
Once the salmon are stripped, they are just swimming salmon waiting to die. So one or two of them might hitch a ride home with a member as a reward.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

What a brilliant project and everyone wins. The kids learn something important about their environment, lots of salmon get reintroduced to the wild and you get a tasty meal or two out of it, win/win :clap: