Chickens !!!!

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Re: Chickens !!!!

Post by gonbechan »

I have also been wondering if one could get Indian Runner ducks in Japan. (for future reference)

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

myhobbyis wrote:Hi all,

Wonderful to see this forum and nice to see some names I recognize and many new too.
So many people doing such amazing stuff here. Truly inspiring !
Long time no see man, thought you'd disappeared off the Internet but so glad to see you back again :clap:
myhobbyis wrote:Wonder if I can pick your brains. Does anybody know where I can get some ducklings ? I used to have a link a looooong time ago but it's vanished in a PC meltdown at some point. Also pigeon chicks that aren't pedigree racing pigeons and going from 30,000yen up with names like "Samuel Von Dykke Ascot-Smythe III" Ha ha . Just want usual cheap manky wood pigeons or doves.
You might try Piyokan their selection changes through the year, maybe contact them and ask if they will be likely to get any in. Or if you know anyone that does 'Duck Rice' locally you might be able to get a few chicks from them. 30,000yen for a pigeon :eek:, God's holy trousers that is some expensive bird
myhobbyis wrote:And sorry to post on ducks in a thread on Chickens , tried to start a new thread but it wasn't having it .
I've checked through the forum permissions and your's look correct but there could always be something lurking in the depths. What error did you get when trying to start a new topic ?

Funasshi

Post by Funasshi »

Sorry to wake up an old thread...
It is a kind of local followup question.
I gathered from ZN's info that here in Chiba one can purchase chicks from Joyful Honda.
However, if one wants to buy day-old chicks (either from a hatchery nearby in Chiba, or by post order somewhere close) does anyone here have a suggestion?

I will need to buy new layer chicks once a year or so, as we live in a kind of urban area and having a rooster is a definite no-no. So buying new chicks will be my only way of re-population. (Sorry I can't get this sentence to NOT sound naughty) :whistle:

The flock size I am thinking to have is very small: 5-6
I read about a hatchery in U.S. who ships day-old chicks with a new type of heat element that allows shipping as few as 3-4 chicks. Wonder if any Japanese hatcheries employ the same method.

Eric in Japan

Post by Eric in Japan »

Funasshi wrote:Sorry to wake up an old thread...
...if one wants to buy day-old chicks (either from a hatchery nearby in Chiba, or by post order somewhere close) does anyone here have a suggestion?
Pikoyan will ship very small numbers- or at least they used to. Just make sure you are there to get them when they arrive.
"... so, the cucumbers said to the cabbage, `Lettuce Go.`"

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Mind if I ask why you specifically want day old chicks ? You'll be feeding these for up to six months before they start laying and chick food can be quite expensive compared to ordinary layers food, just short of 2,000円 for a 20kg sack of the high protein type they need for the first 3 months and is generally only available from Cainz Home in Chiba.

There is a 'research station' in southern Chiba that breeds it's own varieties of chickens you can buy but I can't find their URL, you might find more information Here

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Among my internet wanderings, I came across a page for people looking for homes for their chickens.
I don't know if it will be of any use to anybody, but it is interesting.

http://jmty.jp/all/pet-kw-%E9%B6%8F

if you are looking for ducks (which I was)

http://jmty.jp/all/pet?keyword=%E3%82%A ... =%E2%9C%93

Funasshi

Post by Funasshi »

Zasso Nouka wrote:Mind if I ask why you specifically want day old chicks ?
Hmm, mostly it was because I gathered the stress on them would be less if they are transported once early and then live in same place from then on. But you have a good point. It can end up costing a lot... I'd better rethink. Thanks :)

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

There is also a bulletin board for fertile eggs, chicks and chickens.
Some are for sale, some are free to a good home.

http://teshimakita.net/cgi-bin/db/heros ... le=koukan1

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Let Joyful feed them for a few months, the price doesn't change as they get older and they will be quite acclimated to people after all the attention they get from staff and young kids in the store.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Something else to consider, if you have hakubishin in your area you will almost certainly need an electric fence. They are very determined once they find chickens and can tunnel under a fence or even go through mesh to get at the chickens, also have their house raised off the ground. Don't bother with the fence energisers that most home centres stock as many of them aren't built to last, I'd got with something like a Stafix (available from Farmage) or other foreign made one.