What did you do today?

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: What did you do today?

Post by Zasso Nouka »

KumamotoHunter wrote:Yes, I do. Hard work, but well worth it!
Hard work but very rewarding in the end and an important part of where our food comes from. I've only ever butchered a couple of our male chickens and that took plenty of time so can imagine how much more work a whole inoshishi would take.

Eric in Japan

Post by Eric in Japan »

I watched this video a while back, makes it seem easy. Of course, watching video and doing something are vastly different.

I now know where all the different cuts of meat come from though. That is pretty neat.
"... so, the cucumbers said to the cabbage, `Lettuce Go.`"

KumamotoHunter

Post by KumamotoHunter »

I put a lot in the slow cooker and make "pulled boar" with BBQ sauce. Delicious!

Chris64

Post by Chris64 »

I wonder if this thread is still active? I went fishing in the surf today and while fishing, wondered about rock and surf fishing on the Japanese coast.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

It's active now :lol:

My father in law is a keen sea fisherman and he seems to do quite well, quite often when we visit he will have something freshly caught sliced up as sashimi. His favourite spots are around ports on the long concrete piers with lots of the concrete tetrapods, he catches quite a range of fish through the year as well as octopus and lobsters.

He has his own little work area in the house to make all sorts of different lures and stuff. Every time we go out for a family trip he will bundle a small rod and some tackle in the boot of the car 'just in case' :D

Chris64

Post by Chris64 »

It is the summer holidays and it is unbearably hot. The sun is ferocious! It is also Christmas and the family is coming over for dinner. Luckily, they bring their own food but I still had to cook big! I made 5kg of roast potatoes and slow roasted a leg of lamb over open coals. A hot and sweaty business! Family and children are a blessing and a punishment.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Sounds like a fun day, my own plans for today include getting a haircut and having some root canal treatment :scared-yipes:

However once I get back from the dentist then will be back to tending my biochar burns.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Well, I don't think we're going to be cold during the next few winters

Our friendly local lumber yard delivered a whole load of waste wood today, some of the ends and outside aren't good but the majority of it is perfectly good for burning.

Some of the sections are massive.

It's going to take months to get this cut up and split but reckon it will last for years.

starting_the_dream

Post by starting_the_dream »

That's a lot of wood! I'm hoping you have a splitter or at least a teenage child or two! If you don't mind me asking, how did you arrange this? I've been thinking about a wood burning stove, but have had trouble finding a cheap source of wood. Those little bundles they sell at the home centers are pretty pricey!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

I think we'd need a whole gang of teenagers to work through that pile of wood :lol:. Luckily we have a splitter, if you are thinking of getting one Honda Walk have a fairly good range but I'd avoid any of the electric splitters as they have a very limited capacity. Splitting mauls/axes are fun but the novelty soon wears off when splitting a whole winter's load of wood.
starting_the_dream wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:39 am
If you don't mind me asking, how did you arrange this? I've been thinking about a wood burning stove, but have had trouble finding a cheap source of wood.
We get all of our wood from local lumber yards, delivered free of charge. They produce a lot of waste wood and they can't burn it all so it piles up and if you are willing to take that they will generally deliver and be happy to get rid of it. This load is whole logs that have rotten parts so can't be used for lumber but is fine for burning once you discard the rotten bits. If you don't want to bother with a chainsaw and splitter then the bits left over when they initially square off tree trunks are great, they can be cut up with a simple circular saw and are a whole lot easier to manage than whole trunks. See if you can find a lumber yard locally and ask if they have any waste wood they want rid of.
starting_the_dream wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:39 am
Those little bundles they sell at the home centers are pretty pricey!
I've always wondered who buys them, you see them rolled out in the autumn and then put back into storage in the spring seemingly unsold

If you are thinking of buying a wood stove I'd suggest looking at importing one along with the necessary chimney parts as you might be able to save a considerable amount of money over buying one here. All you'd need to do is find a builder willing to install it for you. Go for one several sizes larger than you think you need, it doesn't need to run at full capacity but the larger it is the easier over night burns become so you wake up to a warm house in the morning and you aren't needing to keep refilling the thing during the course of an evening.