Hello from Shikoku

Please introduce yourself
Tora

Hello from Shikoku

Post by Tora »

Tokushima to be more exact.

I've been lurking on here for a while and it seems like a good place with good people. We are getting ready to renovate a 50 year old house with land on the outskirts of the city (nearest neighbor is 1-200m away and no need for curtains!). We are planning on doing most of the work for ourselves. It seems like many of the members on here have been through a lot of the process we are looking at and I hope I can learn from some of that experience as well as maybe contribute to the conversation here and there. Plus just knowing others have gone through the same thing and are still alive and smiling can be a real positive encouragement sometimes.

About myself... I've been here close to 20 years. I'm a glass artist/artisan and like to go surfing when I can. Trying to find the proper balance between work and quality of life.

Shizuman

Re: Hello from Shikoku

Post by Shizuman »

hey very cool mate, glass artist sounds like fun, good luck with the renos!

Eric in Japan

Post by Eric in Japan »

Welcome Tora!
Another long timer like me. 25 years now... half my life. I am just starting to learn how to surf (midlife crisis?). I too am looking for that balance between work and life.
"... so, the cucumbers said to the cabbage, `Lettuce Go.`"

Tora

Post by Tora »

Shizuman wrote:hey very cool mate, glass artist sounds like fun, good luck with the renos!
Thanks but it's getting to be the not fun season of being a glass artist. Heat + humidity = NO BUENO

Tora

Post by Tora »

Eric in Japan wrote:Welcome Tora!
Another long timer like me. 25 years now... half my life. I am just starting to learn how to surf (midlife crisis?). I too am looking for that balance between work and life.
If I survive a few more years, I'll be at the halfway point. Halfway to where is the flip side of that question. I'd have to say surfing has really helped with the quality of life. Lots of good people and being out on the ocean getting some exercise and fun are great too. Where are you located/surfing. I recall reading about somebody making a wooden surfboard on this forum. Was that you? If so awesome! I've been itching to do that for a couple years and is one of the secret plans I'm hatching behind the wife's back in moving to the new place. It is way down the priority list after full home renovation, house for the goat the wife wants, treehouse for the kid (and kid in me), glass studio, wood/etc workshop where said surfboard would be built. Maybe that'll be my present to my self if I reach halfway....

Shizuman

Post by Shizuman »

Hey tora just read your keen on the wooden surfboard, im halfway though making one myself, im up in Shizuoka near shirahama, not a bad spot!
I got the top and bottom deck on just starting on shaping the rails now.

Tora

Post by Tora »

Shizuman wrote:Hey tora just read your keen on the wooden surfboard, im halfway though making one myself, im up in Shizuoka near shirahama, not a bad spot!
I got the top and bottom deck on just starting on shaping the rails now.

Sounds like fun. I'm jealous. Be nice to see some pics when you're done. Process would be interesting too. What kind of wood? Kit or original? What do you normally ride?

Getting ready for 4 days in SE Shikoku as I have a show there now. Lots of people but I tend to wake up early when on the road so I get a little peace early on.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Welcome to Japan Simple Life Tora and thank you for taking the time to sign up. We really do appreciate that.

Sounds like you have an interesting project ahead, that should be great fun and I for one look forward to hearing how you get on.

A glass sounds like an interesting career, would love to see some of your work sometime if you have a chance to share some pictures.

Eric in Japan

Post by Eric in Japan »

Tora wrote:. Where are you located/surfing. I recall reading about somebody making a wooden surfboard on this forum. Was that you? If so awesome! I've been itching to do that for a couple years and is one of the secret plans I'm hatching behind the wife's back in moving to the new place. It is way down the priority list after full home renovation, house for the goat the wife wants, treehouse for the kid (and kid in me), glass studio, wood/etc workshop where said surfboard would be built. Maybe that'll be my present to my self if I reach halfway....
I am up in North Ibaraki. Water is cold, but the beaches are so beautiful. Yes, that was me making the wood board. Unfortunately, it has developed some major (1cm wide) cracks and I don't know if I can salvage it. Time will tell.

Good luck on the renovation, goathouse, treehouse, studio and workshop. Sounds great! (well, except the goat... not a big fan of goats anymore lol)
"... so, the cucumbers said to the cabbage, `Lettuce Go.`"

Shizuman

Post by Shizuman »

Tora wrote: Sounds like fun. I'm jealous. Be nice to see some pics when you're done. Process would be interesting too. What kind of wood? Kit or original? What do you normally ride?

Getting ready for 4 days in SE Shikoku as I have a show there now. Lots of people but I tend to wake up early when on the road so I get a little peace early on.
Yea ill chuck some pics up, its a bit rough but fun,
you performing mate?