Gun ownership and hunting in Japan

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Gun ownership and hunting in Japan

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Crikey man, I'd be tempted to become a full time hunter with that kind of bounty and set up a smoking/curing business on the side.

KumamotoHunter

Post by KumamotoHunter »

Shizuman wrote:Just thought id add here in Shizuoka the local hunters are getting a fee for every deer or boar they take,
I know of a foreign dude going through the process of getting his licence now, see if i can get some details.
I wanna give it a go if he is sucessful
Just to mention about the bounty....you can only get a bounty if you reside in the village where you killed the deer or boar. This is to stop people from just romaing around and cleaning up on bounties. Secondly, even if you do get a bounty, you have to give half of it back to your local hunting association.

KumamotoHunter

Post by KumamotoHunter »

Zasso Nouka wrote:Crikey man, I'd be tempted to become a full time hunter with that kind of bounty and set up a smoking/curing business on the side.
Unless you reside in the same village as where you shoot the animal, you won't be able to do this.

KumamotoHunter

Post by KumamotoHunter »

Caleb Fuller wrote:I just thought I'd chime in here.

As far as the economics go, well, in the local area I heard the government will pay a bounty of 10,000 yen for every deer or boar caught. I also heard of one guy who catches about 400 of them per year. You do the math! That's a fairly decent annual income in these parts, especially factoring in that he can do whatever he wants with the animals - he's certainly not spending much money on meat...

I haven't hunted myself, but putting out the word has meant I get the occasional, much appreciated gift of boar or venison. I've certainly made a fair amount of boar sausages and burgers, venison sausages and burgers, as well as roasts and stews of all kinds. I can certainly see why venison used to be considered the meat of kings! Boar can be variable - when it's good it's better than farmed pork, when it's got "the taint", well... best make it into a really strongly seasoned sausage...
That guy no doubt has several traps/snares and lives in the village where he takes the animals; otherwise, he couldn't claim the bounty. I doubt he eats much of the meat. Most Japanese turn their noses up at the thought of deer or boar. Usually it is fed to the dogs or burned in a big pit.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

KumamotoHunter wrote:Unless you reside in the same village as where you shoot the animal, you won't be able to do this.
Bugger, there goes my plan to corner the Japanese bush meat market :lol:
KumamotoHunter wrote:Most Japanese turn their noses up at the thought of deer or boar. Usually it is fed to the dogs or burned in a big pit.
Perhaps different areas have different views, over this way wild game seems highly prized and when any of the hunters come back from a trip there are plenty of people only too happy to take any excess off their hands. Inoshishi nabe seems particularly popular, which is quite lucky really as one was recently spotted down in the tanbo.

donguri

Post by donguri »

We've had the good fortune of making friends with a few hunters in our neighborhood. Now that they know we can use it, they often just turn up with bags of meat or beg us to come and raid their freezers. It their cases, they mostly do if for the money offered to hunters by the town office, but they feel bad about just burying the bodies in the mountain (as is the practice in these parts). Indeed, in most cases it's decent quality meat, natural, and a creature's life was sacrificed, so in my opinion, using it to feed people is not only logical, but somehow brings the life cycle to completion. Just burying it seems wasteful and karmically bad.

A lot of the locals aren't interested in eating wild meat, but folks from the city areas often come out to the mountains with the hope of eating game. But we've also turned a few locals into fans, seems a lot of people just don't know how to properly prepare the meat. One of our local sources was so happy when he tried the "roast beef" style venison my husband prepares. He seemed relieved, excited and genuinely enjoyed eating it!

Eric in Japan

Post by Eric in Japan »

Well, I finally did it and became the newest licenced trapper in Ibaraki.
Now I just need a "1.5m green Kashi tree trunk" and I will be all set come Autumn.
"... so, the cucumbers said to the cabbage, `Lettuce Go.`"

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Don't forget the nail gun. :lol:

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Way to go Eric :happy-wavemulticolor:

What are you planning on trapping ?

Eric in Japan

Post by Eric in Japan »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:59 am
What are you planning on trapping ?
Mostly boar, some civet cats if they are a nuisance. And raccoons if they show up around here.
I plan on making some homemade hams and bacon if my schedule allows it. Have to trap them over winter vacation or on weekends so I have some time.
"... so, the cucumbers said to the cabbage, `Lettuce Go.`"