Repurposing tsuchikabe clay

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
poorsage

Re: Repurposing tsuchikabe clay

Post by poorsage »

I think if you want to fill cracks that develop around the edges, a thicker clay mix would be best. You would need to maybe brush some clay slip on to remoisten the edges, and also “roughen up” the existing edges so there is something to bind with. The old clay needs to be wet to aid binding with the new. Also, you’d need fibers in it to to stop cracking. Apply it with a putty knife rather than jerryrigging a caulking gun would be easier and more effective.

Tora

Post by Tora »

Poorsage,

Thanks. This is good information. But the caulking gun thing works really well when in some circumstances :D

Tora

Post by Tora »

Thanks for all the replies on this thread. Sorry I've neglected it. We started into the hot humid season when on should not be over exerting oneself so that's what I've been doing and suffering the consequences. Decided to slow things down a little and take things in small steps.

All signs from research and pros I've consulted point to the nakanuri material NOT being asbestos. Either way, I'm gonna suit up in my stylish Tavel suit and respirator with fashionable hot pink filters when I remove that outer layer. Used that same suit when removing the old Tiger Board ceiling tiles from the kitchen. Couldn't find the lot numbers to confirm it but a lot of that old fire resistant board had asbestos in it. Just worried the neighbors will see me in my fancy safety suit think I'm trying to start a cult or something.

I saved the better looking akatsuchi from one decrepit outbuilding i took down in rice bags and stored those in the shed. I'll use those for any repairs in the house. The rest is in a pile between two layers of plastic out back. Looks dry so far but there's bamboo trying to grow up through it!

Still gotta figure out what to do with another 4 tall walls of akatsuchi that's gonna come out of the separate kitchen building that's gonna get moved soon.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Tora wrote:Just worried the neighbors will see me in my fancy safety suit think I'm trying to start a cult or something.
It's not just the neighbours, I'm sure there's some of us wanting to see such sartorial elegance :lol: :lol: :lol:

Best of luck with the work and hope you don't knacker yourself in the heat.

Tora

Post by Tora »

Zasso Nouka wrote: I'm sure there's some of us wanting to see such sartorial elegance :lol: :lol: :lol:

Best of luck with the work and hope you don't knacker yourself in the heat.
Sorry but I Don't know how to post photos from fancy dancy high tech iPhoney thing. Many of my friends who saw how I looked thought I looked like a scientific type of member of a particular spiritual yoga group whose leader was unexpectedly executed this morning. Since I did this a week ago, I had a strange sense of irony or destiny or something lingering over my head all day.

I Was knackered last month from too much work and knackered last weekend from too much wine. Wonder what will get me next. Some fools just don't know when to quit....

Tora

Post by Tora »

Been making slow progress on our house as we wait for the septic approval and installation.

I removed all the low doorways that have been keeping my tall self down for years. I separated and stored as much of the Arakabe and nakanuri daub as I could. I've been using the arakabe to fill in cracks and big gaping holes near the roof that bees, birds, snakes and elephants had been using to enter the attic. It really is a fun material to work with and it certainly does the job. I've also bee n filling unfinished areas of arakabe with the nakanuri inner layer. Although it's nowhere near as well done as theorigiywalls, it is good enough for who it's for.

I have a question about using bamboo wattle to fill in some unplasteted (undaubed) areas that were above the ceilings I removed. Do I need to use dried bamboo or can I use green (undried) bamboo. The searches I did about wattle and daub didn't turn up any answers to that question.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Sounds like it's getting awfully crowded in your attic :lol:

Tora

Post by Tora »

Zasso Nouka wrote:Sounds like it's getting awfully crowded in your attic :lol:
Just my big self in there in there makes it crowded....

BrettRas

Post by BrettRas »

Tora wrote:
I have a question about using bamboo wattle to fill in some unplasteted (undaubed) areas that were above the ceilings I removed. Do I need to use dried bamboo or can I use green (undried) bamboo.

Bamboo harvested in the early winter months (usually Nov~Dec) is used because the water content is low and reduces the rot/insect damage over time. Usually I do a process to remove the waxy coating (several ways to do this) and store the cut bamboo up in a covered area for a while before using.

Tora

Post by Tora »

BrettRas wrote:
Bamboo harvested in the early winter months (usually Nov~Dec) is used because the water content is low and reduces the rot/insect damage over time. Usually I do a process to remove the waxy coating (several ways to do this) and store the cut bamboo up in a covered area for a while before using.
Thanks BrettRas! I cut, split and scraped some a couple weeks ago. It's stored inside now. I may end up putting in the latticework while it's a little green depending on how busy I am with other projects. I need to get moving on it as I know the whole process of letting the daub dry will take a while. We'd like to move in this spring as that would be good timing for my daughter's school change.

On another note, have you used "baraita (バラ板)" for lathe to apply plaster to. I'm trying to plan walls for the addition I'm putting on the back. We want to do shikkui but I dont foresee having time to do that much tsuchikabe and I'd prefer not to use gypsum or lathe board (ラースボード)。