Panini Magic.

A forum for all things cooking, food or snack related
gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Panini Magic.

Post by gonbechan »

At Christmas we bought ourselves a present of a panini press.
I must say it has changed our lives and really jazzed up the way we process leftovers too.

We get sharp cheddar from Costco for the sarnies but I suppose any favorite cheese would do.

Does anyone have one of these and if so, what is your favorite filling?

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Panini Magic.

Post by Zasso Nouka »

We're trying to convince Mrs Nouka's mother to give up hers, she bought it for her cafe and has only ever used it once. Since then it has sat on a shelf gather dust but she swears she will start using it one day.

I'm a big fan of tuna melt paninis

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

The best ever we have made so far was when we had a spare pack of meat for sukiyaki.
I browned the meat in a frying pan and then added a little steak sauce which I cooked off so the meat was caramelized.
Then made panini with that, slivers of sharp cheddar and a good dollop of mayo on the meat.
We used normal supermarket rye bread (6 slice ver) and only had enough filling for 2 generous sandwiches (so one each) but it was so satisfying that we basked in its memory for several hours.

Chris64

Post by Chris64 »

Anybody interested in baking bread their own bread? Nice French baguette maybe?

Shizuman

Post by Shizuman »

Yea regularly bake, usually sour dough. I run bakery classes too

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Mrs Nouka's Farmhouse loaves are a popular seller in Tokyo Ginza and at Takashimaya

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

We bake bread on a semi regular basis.
We have a really old, large National bread machine that is really good for the kneading and first rise part. It makes enough for a full loaf which I then bake in the oven.
Favorite is whole wheat bread with crushed (very crushed) kurumi added to the dough. It is amazing fresh as well as phenomenal for toast.

LeeB

Post by LeeB »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:15 am
Mrs Nouka's Farmhouse loaves are a popular seller in Tokyo Ginza and at Takashimaya
I'm jealous!!!!

That's another thing we both miss about Japan: delicious bread. That is what makes Japan so great - lots of neat places to buy stuff: the local baker, the local tofu maker, etc. The same bicycle shop owner that remembered the kid from 20 plus years ago!

When we first moved to Melbourne there was baker in Melbourne Central that had really good bread approaching the Japanese style, but they went out of business long ago.

Here you can buy bread at various places, but none matches the softness and quality of bread we used to eat in Japan. Bread is cheap here - you get what you pay for.

I did find some high protein wheat flour at one of the stores and I'm going to use it to bake bread either tomorrow or Thursday as the temps are going to be cool. I hope that the result is good.

(By the way, I have visited that famous bread store in Yokohama and the bread there was terrible!)

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

I just wish there were proper crusty baguettes easily available in supermarkets, the soft and flaccid ones don't cut the mustard IMHO :cry:

Chris64

Post by Chris64 »

I will post an authentic baguette recipe over the weekend when I have more time to type it out. Quite simple to do. Make a pre ferment the day before, and 3 hours after mixing the dough, you have wonderful flavourful baguettes!