Helping a Tanuki

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Helping a Tanuki

Post by Zasso Nouka »

An update.

We never did get that tanuki friendly enough to treat her but she still comes around to visit for a snack and this year she brought her baby along with her. He has become quite friendly and will even eat out of our hand, maybe because he got used to people at a very young age.

He will even come running over to you if he sees you working or if you call to him. Hoping with this one we can get him just a little bit closer and then drop some Stronghold on him.

Tony Gregson

Helping a Tanuki

Post by Tony Gregson »

This is a very useful post, as I’m in the same predicament with a mange-ridden tanuki recently appearing on our wood deck scavenging for scraps the wild cat may have left.
One the one hand, I’d love to find some way to help this poor creature without overly interfering with “nature” - but on the other, not to keen on it spending too much time in close proximity to our pets!
If possible to find some oral medication locally, I may go with the dog biscuit option as I imagine neither our cats nor the wild cats will be too interested.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Helping a Tanuki

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Firstly let me welcome you to Japan Simple Life. Thank you very much for taking the time to sign up, we really do appreciate that.

We're currently trying to treat our tanuki with fipronil (Frontline/My Flea Guard) but that has to be dripped onto their fur. If you want to treat them with tablets smuggled into a tasty treat then Ivermectin will work but as far as I can see it's not readily available in Japan. If you have a friendly vet you could ask them for a couple of tablets. You can easily order it from abroad in something like HeartGard or other treatments, selemectin treatments are also readily available abroad but I’m currently trying to find out what the import regulations are for those two medicines, it seems to be a bit of a grey area. Gonbechan may know of somewhere here you can buy Ivermectin tablets.

KumamotoHunter

Helping a Tanuki

Post by KumamotoHunter »

There used to be a tanuki with almost no fur and nasty, scaly skin where I lived. I started leaving out cat food (both wet and dry), and within a month or two it had a lovely new coat. I think the calories, vitamins and minerals work wonders on their own. I certainly wasn't giving it medication of any kind.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Helping a Tanuki

Post by Zasso Nouka »

KumamotoHunter wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:16 pm
There used to be a tanuki with almost no fur and nasty, scaly skin where I lived. I started leaving out cat food (both wet and dry), and within a month or two it had a lovely new coat. I think the calories, vitamins and minerals work wonders on their own. I certainly wasn't giving it medication of any kind.
It depends on which type of scabies a tanuki has. If it's demotic mange picked up from dogs then a good balanced diet can tip the balance in the tanuki's favour, our tanuki has a thick coat in summer when there is plenty of natural food around but loses it when it's most needed in winter and food is scarce. Sarcoptic mange, also picked up from dogs isn't greatly affected by diet and can only be cleared up by treatment. Both types of mite can be completely killed off by the relevant medicine but if you don't mind feeding them a good balanced diet through the winter then that's also an option.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Helping a Tanuki

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Well I can report back that Fipronil doesn't work for whatever type of scabies our tanuki have. Despite several applications young Tanuki-kun is still itching like mad and has lost even more hair, however there maybe a ray of light.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Helping a Tanuki

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Hidden Content

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Helping a Tanuki

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Hidden Content

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Helping a Tanuki

Post by gonbechan »

hmm t-rex has teeny tiny hands.... just saying.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Helping a Tanuki

Post by Zasso Nouka »

And so does Donald Trump but he assured us all he is tremendously huge and he would never lie to us I'm sure :naughty:

Actually it was a reference to one of my favourite films