Another one in Shizioka

Please introduce yourself
Aquilis

Another one in Shizioka

Post by Aquilis »

Hey everyone I'm a Brit who has been living in Fuji for about three years now. Been doing the whole English teaching thing while I finished a degree in environmental science and now starting on 'the grand project' which is basically a bit of a fancy smallholding. Looking forwards to chatting with you all, have a good golden week!

Shizuman

Re: Another one in Shizioka

Post by Shizuman »

Gday mate!
I met another brit who is into conservation just today!
Welcome! Look forward to hearing about your smallholding!

Aquilis

Post by Aquilis »

The problem with forums is I can't tell if you are being sarcastic and know that is me, or genuinly think there are two of us!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Welcome to Japan Simple Life Aquilis and thank you for taking the time to join up, it's really appreciated.

Sounds like you might have already met one of our members :lol:. You are right, text is such a limited format it's often hard to tell whether someone is joking or not.

You've certainly chosen a nice part of the country to start your project, I never get bored of seeing mount Fuji. Do you have a place you want to start in or are you now looking for somewhere and what sort of style of smallholding are you aiming for ?

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

So many new faces, so many new adventures.
Welcome to JSL Aquilis, its grand to have you here.Looking forward to hearing more about your smallholding ventures.

Aquilis

Post by Aquilis »

Thanks guys, yeah Shizuman linked me up to this board. I am lucky enough to already have a fair patch to start working with and the option to buy the adjacent plot if I need the space (which hopefully I will!).

At the moment I am just re-learning my garden skills for Japan, as I used to have an alotment in the UK but that was a fair few years ago and the climate is a fair bit different from here!

Long term I am hoping to develop an educational permaculture 'food forest' which would be a self sustaining environment by including semi wild lovestock, since my recent studies at university were focused on food security and sustainability and while Japan is looking at growth I really don't think it ia sustainable. This is of course very much in the future and I have a lot of research to do still before I can get there!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

That's awesome man, will you be starting the forest from scratch or is the land already forested ? I must admit it's not something I know much about, we have some forest on our land that provides wild food for us (bamboo shoots, berries, mukago and other sansai) but it's not managed in any way and probably no where near as productive as what you are aiming for. It sounds like a very interesting project indeed and I'd love to see how you get on.
Aquilis wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 9:45 am
At the moment I am just re-learning my garden skills for Japan, as I used to have an alotment in the UK but that was a fair few years ago and the climate is a fair bit different from here!
Well at least you already have the basic skills to get started and it's quite fun learning what does and what doesn't work.
Aquilis wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 9:45 am
Long term I am hoping to develop an educational permaculture 'food forest' which would be a self sustaining environment by including semi wild lovestock, since my recent studies at university were focused on food security and sustainability and while Japan is looking at growth I really don't think it ia sustainable. This is of course very much in the future and I have a lot of research to do still before I can get there!
Well, I for one am very interested to see how you get on.

Aquilis

Post by Aquilis »

So we have 6 very well established fruit trees at the moment as well as a handful of hardwoods and I planted an olive and almond tree this year too. The forest part is a bit of a loose term I guess for it, aiming for about 1 tree to give ground cover for every 10 square meters because the land is south facing and in full sun pretty much all day, which is great for some stuff but has pretty much set fire to the peas I was trying to grow! Will post updates and pictures for sure as we go, any advise is always welcomed.