Things to do during Golden Week

A forum for city folk
dayunbao

Things to do during Golden Week

Post by dayunbao »

I'm going to be in Japan for all of Golden Week. My girlfriend and I will be spending 2 days/1 night in Chichibu, and I'm sure she has some other plans for us I don't know about yet. However, I just found out that she's being forced to work one of the days I'll be in Japan. So, I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for things to do or places to visit? I'm open to things/places outside Tokyo, so long as it's doable as a day trip. I'm open to pretty much anything.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Re: Things to do during Golden Week

Post by gonbechan »

golden week is madness here with public transport squeeze room only, including the shinkansen.
Try to look for something in the immediate vicinity of where you will be,.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

During Golden Week we stay home on the farm and avoid going anywhere that's popular with other people if at all possible.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

As people have said, Japan gets super crowded so if you don't mind queuing a lot then there's plenty of things to see and do.

Would day trips close to Tokyo be ok? Because Nikko and Kamakura are nice places to visit.
There's also Mount Takao but then that's going to be rammed with people I think.
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

dayunbao

Post by dayunbao »

I got back from Japan at the beginning of the week. I had a great trip. I met my girlfriend's mother and sister, as well as her best friend. Both meetings went well. My girlfriend and I have already seen a lot of the areas near her house, so we struggled a bit to find new places to go in Tokyo this time. I went to Ueno Park by myself on one day when my girlfriend was forced to work, and then we visited Kichijoji together another day. Both parks were nice, but I liked Kichijoji better.

The highlight of the trip was Chichibu. I guess Chichibu is becoming popular in Japan as a tourist destination, so I was a bit worried about it being really crowded. There weren't that many tourists, though. It was supposed to rain during our time there, but never did more than drizzle a bit. So I think the Japanese tourists were scared off by the weather forecast. We walked to 10 of the 34 Kannon temples in Chichibu, which was great.

My girlfriend has been very reluctant to consider living in an akiya, and has been against the idea of me buying one. However, during my trip we visited an akiya I've had my eye on for a while, and now she's begun to change her mind. I think seeing it in person helped, but I also think the taxi driver that took us out to the akiya saying it looked like a solid house helped a lot, too. The view from the house is pretty nice, and a few days ago my girlfriend told me she keeps thinking of the view. So, there is some positive movement in that area.

Hope everyone had a great Golden Week!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Sounds like you guys had a good time and managed to avoid the worst of the crowds, lucky for you the weather forecast kept folk away :lol: leaving you to enjoy it yourself.
dayunbao wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:13 am
My girlfriend has been very reluctant to consider living in an akiya, and has been against the idea of me buying one. However, during my trip we visited an akiya I've had my eye on for a while, and now she's begun to change her mind. I think seeing it in person helped, but I also think the taxi driver that took us out to the akiya saying it looked like a solid house helped a lot, too. The view from the house is pretty nice, and a few days ago my girlfriend told me she keeps thinking of the view. So, there is some positive movement in that area.

Hope everyone had a great Golden Week!
That's great news indeed, lucky that the taxi driver was so positive. Sometimes a positive third opinion can really help swing things. Hopefully given time she will come to better appreciate the positives of the house you are interested in and possibly swing towards it more. Got my fingers crossed for you on that one :handgestures-fingerscrossed: