Instapot love at first bite

A forum for all things cooking, food or snack related
gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Instapot love at first bite

Post by gonbechan »

After living dangerously for decades with a dodgy pressure cooker (the type with just the wobbly thing on the top) I decided it was time to end a life of angst and standing around watching the wobbler and hoping that the thing wouldn't explode and make a hole in the roof of our house.
I ordered a 6 quart Instapot from Amazon and it arrived in time for Goldenweek.

I had ordered 2kg of full size pork ribs from TeleAmigos and decided this was an exceptional way to christen the Instapot.

I marinaded the ribs over night in my miso, garlic, honey, cider vinegar, smoked paprika and chili powder mix and then cooked them for 35 min in the instapot. Then I browned them up in the oven after basting them with the reduced juices from the bottom of the instapot.

They were amazing. Fall off the bone tender but sticky and good on the outside.

Since that went so well, I decided to try a whole (2kg) chicken that I seasoned with a BBQ rub and stuck some garlic and onion halves into the center.
I steam/pressure cooked it in the instapot for 24 minutes and then removed it to a roasting pan, brushed it with butter and crisped it up in the oven.
It must be the best home done chicken we have had. It was gorgeously succulent and all the fat under the skin had gone so it crisped up amazingly well in the oven.

Next was pork curry which was so easy and really really good, and last night did a red wine and paprika beef stew.

I think I have my new favorite kitchen gadget and no longer need my pressure cooker or my crock pot. The absolute best thing about it is you just program it and walk away. No anxious watching and waiting.

Does anyone else have an Instapot and if so, what is your best recipe so far?

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Instapot love at first bite

Post by Zasso Nouka »

What is an Instapot ? Can't say I've ever seen one but they sound awesome.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

dayunbao

Post by dayunbao »

Sounds like I should get one, or just convince gonbechan to cook for me, lol.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Hahahaha.
I DO love to cook.

This weekend we are going to try making dulce de leche in the Instapot.
I used to make it in the slow cooker but it took 9+ hours and it was never thick enough.
The youtube how to looks way easier, better and safer.

Will report back.

Also on the schedule is making chicken broth for our 20 year old PITA Siamese. She will not drink water and prefers 70Yen a pop Mon Petit chicken and katsuo soup and will drink 5 or more a day. (She has end stage chronic kidney disease so it is hard to say no.)
I hope Her Finickiness likes it, hold thumbs for me.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

If any of you do order one, getting the accessories is way cheaper from amazon.com rather than Japan Amazon.
In fact ordering the Instant Pot plus a full set of accessories is cheaper than just buying the Instapot alone from Japan Amazon.

Wendy

Post by Wendy »

First, I should mention that I want to move in to Gonbechen's house.
Second, we have an instantpot that we have mainly used to cook beans in....and we do that a lot. It will also cook rice, which seems to work perfectly well (so if space is an issue, getting rid of the rice cooker could be an option). We have also made chili....saute up the onions in the pot (it has a saute function) then add the other bits and pressure cook.
Feeling inspired to cook more!

And so sorry to read about your Siamese, Gonbechen. Glad she is getting pampered!

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Instapot makes the most amazing dulce de leche, if you are into that.
I used to make it in the slow cooker but it took like 12 hours and was still semi runny. Also it was not something you would leave unattended as the cans had to be unopened for this method and had a slight chance of explosion.

In the instapot, open the can, throw away the lid, cover the can with aluminium foil .. put the steamer basket thingie in the instapot, add 1 cup water, put in the can of condensed milk and pressure cook on high for 40 minutes.

End result.. spoonable dulce de leche.

Ibaraki llama

Post by Ibaraki llama »

I'm definitely getting an instapot. Was trying to get some dulce de leche a while back for another recipe, but it seemed like such a hassle to make, so glad to know it's pretty easy in the instapot.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

You can buy dolce de leche on Amazon or at Tele Amigos But its more expensive and to be honest, the stuff we made last night is way nicer and firmer. (and half the price)