Gonbechan Food Discovery

A forum for all things cooking, food or snack related
gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Gonbechan Food Discovery

Post by gonbechan »

While working on a tight deadline, without much in the house, a bit of foraging brought up this new flavour combination

1. cut up the sausages into bite size pieces and saute with a little olive oil. Set aside.
2. do the yakisoba with hot water as per instructions
3. fry your egg to your desired whatever. (we went with sunny side up with runny yolk)
4. Strain the yakisoba and add the seasonings and furikake. Dump in the sausages and mix well
5. top with fried eggs
6. gobble it up.

Ibaraki llama

Re: Gonbechan Food Discovery

Post by Ibaraki llama »

Thanks for all of these ideas. Before coming to Japan I used to do most of the cooking, but now we live with my mother-in-law and she almost always cooks for us (she doesn't like western food - or maybe just my cooking). When we finally move into our new house (leaving the mother-in-law behind) I'll be back to cooking, which I'm looking forward to, and will definitely try out some of your recipes!

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

I like Japanese food, Senor Gonbe prefers western food, I like it too. We both like Chinese. I am partial to Korean and Indian food too.
To be honest I just love to cook (and eat haha)
I am really waiting to win the lotto so I can build my custom kitchen with all Miele appliances. Japanese ovens don't do it for me and we end up exhausting its capabilities in less than 5 years. I want a big oven and a separate microwave that are 200v. Same with the dishwasher I want a nice big one so i can pop in the crockpot inside or pots and pans etc.

I also really really want a Korean fridge but sadly they are not for sale in Japan. If they were, I reckon Japanese ones wouldn't sell hahahaha.

Ibaraki llama

Post by Ibaraki llama »

Yes, the oven is a bit of a problem - trying to decide on one now. In the last place we lived in in the UK we had a Rangemaster. I looked into getting one here and they're not available at all - you'd have to import one yourself and they're already expensive enough (though is it just me or are Japanese ovens ridiculously expensive for what you get?)

I like all food types of though - I'm eating Japanese food everyday, but recently had a yearning for chicken kiev.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Where on earth did you score the sausages from Gonbechan ? They looks so much better than the tasteless wieners available in most supermarkets.
Zaimondos wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:14 pm
Yes, the oven is a bit of a problem - trying to decide on one now.

Have a look at restaurant suppliers, Mrs Nouka got a beast of a gas oven/cooker with large gas rings on top installed in her cafe.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

The sausages were acquired from Marunaka supermarket. No idea if this is a national or local chain.
They are skinless breakfast sausages so taste a lot like a better version of McGobbles McBrekkies things, but in sausage form.
They are not bad on pizza either.

Ibaraki llama

Post by Ibaraki llama »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:53 am

Have a look at restaurant suppliers, Mrs Nouka got a beast of a gas oven/cooker with large gas rings on top installed in her cafe.
I was wandering around kappabashi last year - might have to visit them again, though I think we are going to go full electric to avoid having to use propane tanks.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

We are full electric now and boy are monthly costs different.
Taking into consideration this house has way better insulation but even then.

Last house propane was on a yearly average 8K a month (with winters hitting over 15K). Electricity was on average 10K (with summers hitting over 35K)

This house electricity is about 10K in winter and tops 25K in mid summer. No gas bill. We have eco Cute for the water.

Mind you, I have AC on from May until about October (I work with graphic heavy PC which pump out heat and AC costs are cheaper than replacing expensive GFX cards and etc.

But the cost is so dramatically different. Nothing much about daily life has changed. In fact if anything we use more AC because I leave one room on dry 24/7 since May for the 20 year old cat because the heat and humidity makes her sick.

I have a suspicion that the propane gas ppl around here are not that honest. We had 2 tanks and they would swap one out every month. The lowest ever propane bill was 7k. They also never returned the 10K deposit we paid when we first moved in. Asking for it was met with silence or a hangup.

Maybe this post belongs in another thread. But FWIW, this is the Gonbe Life haha.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Zaimondos wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:58 pm
I was wandering around kappabashi last year - might have to visit them again, though I think we are going to go full electric to avoid having to use propane tanks.
If you are open to second hand but generally good condition kit then check out Tenpos, they buy up stock from bankrupt and closed down restaurants and catering businesses and also have a small stock of new equipment.
gonbechan wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:36 pm
We are full electric now and boy are monthly costs different.
Propane does seem to be rather ridiculously expensive.

Ibaraki llama

Post by Ibaraki llama »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:33 am
If you are open to second hand but generally good condition kit then check out Tenpos, they buy up stock from bankrupt and closed down restaurants and catering businesses and also have a small stock of new equipment.
Thanks very much, I didn't know about that store - I'll check it out.