Founder
Founder

Re: DIY am I bad?

Post by gonbechan »

It makes the kitchen look enormous.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Yeah it's huge, not sure if it'll get get utilized to its full though. Unless I get me an oven then i'll be making roasts every week whether my wife likes them or not.

All praise the roast spuds.

I recently just started tearing away some crappy 70's looking wall paneling that was hiding some lovely beams. I think they covered them to hide wiring mostly on one.
I'll post some picks later.

Looks like I have a tricky job of making some sort of paneling between the corridor and chanoma, there is a gap between the top of the door frame and beam. It's all wonky and stuff so I'll have to scribe some magic. One side has a bigger gap by the looks of it but once it's all paneled up it'll look nice hopefully.

For tidying up the wiring if there is enough give I'll move it up to the top and secure it nicely. Although I'm just wondering if it's worth getting an electrician to do it instead to be safe.

Also instead of re-plastering the manky old walls I was thinking of paneling over the top instead between the support posts.

Also stepped on a big nail. Nice. It did pop a blister for me so it wasn't all bad.
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

I would consider rewiring the place while you are still in a rippy uppy phase, or at the very least have a new breaker board with at least 2 dedicated to the kitchen alone.

Older houses were not meant for microwaves, electric kettles, dishwashers, ovens etc etc and commonly the kitchen might even share a breaker with other rooms in the house.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:34 am
Also stepped on a big nail. Nice. It did pop a blister for me so it wasn't all bad.
Result :thumbsup:, lucky the blister was there to protect the rest of your foot :lol:

I agree with Gonbechan about getting some rewiring done now, many houses seem comically under provisioned when it comes to the number of sockets and gauge of wire used.

Tora

Post by Tora »

It will be 4 times the work to do it later. I’d at least ask an electrician if it really, really, REALLY needs to be upgraded. In the end our electrician redid the whole place. I didn’t argue. I definitely didn’t want an electric short to cause a fire that burned down my house after all the work I put into it. That being said, the electrician’s estimate that it would take 450meters of wire for the whole (single floor, 2br) house dropped my jaw.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Tora wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:33 am
The electrician’s estimate that it would take 450meters of wire for the whole (single floor, 2br) house dropped my jaw.
How much was he asking if you don't mind me asking?

I best start saving as my place is huge :/
I suppose if I lay the wires myself and he just does the connections that would be fine right? Or is that a no no?

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Tora

Post by Tora »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:42 pm

I suppose if I lay the wires myself and he just does the connections that would be fine right? Or is that a no no?
I actually never got the estimate. Or the bill... yet.... little worried about that one. He’s our neighbor and has done a lot and hasn’t charged us once. Might mean I’ll be really paying for it for years to come!

I suggested running the wires myself and he said it’s technically REALLY NOT ok. He and his right hand man got it done in a day and a half plus. Would’ve taken me weeks and looked like hell. I’m not worried about the work he did either. Probably Wouldn’t have used that much wire either. Don’t know if that’s good or bad. I never anticipate needing an AC unit in every room but we now have a dedicated outlet in every room. Never know with this global warming thing we got going on....

Good luck. Seems like the heat is easing off. That and work have really been further slowing my already delayed progress.

Zakiyama

Post by Zakiyama »

Is that the same kitchen? It looks great so far!
The beams are beautiful. Any time I see a wire stapled to a beam I think there must be a prettier way...

An electrician came to look at our wiring. Said he'd never seen anything like it before. This is our state of the art "breaker board".
breaker.jpg
breaker.jpg (96.3 KiB) Viewed 869 times
Don't worry it's off at the moment. Electrical stuff is definitely something we are going to out source.

Ibaraki llama

Post by Ibaraki llama »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:42 pm
Tora wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:33 am
The electrician’s estimate that it would take 450meters of wire for the whole (single floor, 2br) house dropped my jaw.

Ours is costing over a million to rewire the whole house, 130amps, new lighting points, new indoor and outdoor power points, 200v in kitchen etc.