Bamboo clearing.

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
DocDoesFarming

Re: Bamboo clearing.

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Well I did it, I managed to cut the bamboo down and as a bonus managed to get hold of a digger from one of the farmers who is training us to. Well actually he's helping to dig up all the bastard roots and sort out the other fields we have also which is really really handy. Hopefully the 3 tier field we have at the front gets converted to one big one so we can grow cucumbers properly.

Spend the day yesterday tearing down some of the smaller trees we had there that were in the way and chopping them down to move and spent all day today cutting down the last of the bamboo and moving them to the side so we can dig up the roots properly. I think we'll probably end up getting one of those bamboo chippers so we have some decent mulch for the cucumber footpaths.

I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Looks like you`ve got some good logs for next winter once they`ve been dried, should keep you warm and toasty.

Must be quite satisfying seeing your land transformed in such a major way, what do you plan to do with the space once it`s been opened up ?

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Spuds, lots of spuds.
Basically need to grow food for the chickens to eat really so anything will do. Although I'd love to have another chicken coup or something but we'll see how we do.

Yeah it's great, I just hope I have the energy to keep the weeds away this summer.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:15 pm
Spuds, lots of spuds.
Basically need to grow food for the chickens to eat really so anything will do. Although I'd love to have another chicken coup or something but we'll see how we do.

Yeah it's great, I just hope I have the energy to keep the weeds away this summer.
Have you seen that video of the chickens and the compost?

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Can never have too many tatties :lol:

As for the weeds you could grow lots of sorghum in rotation and feed that to the chickens. Generally sorghum out competes many weeds as it gets tall and they can't grow well in the shade. Or let the weeds grow and harvest them before they set seed to feed to the chickens, you'd be using the weeds as fodder so they become beneficial rather than a hindrance. Chickweed grows well through the winter and chickens absolutely love it.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

gonbechan wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:45 pm
Have you seen that video of the chickens and the compost?
Yeah I saw that the other week, slight issue is getting the amount of compost together to do it. Although I could go round to the local restaurants and see if we can nab their food wastage.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:05 am
Can never have too many tatties :lol:

As for the weeds you could grow lots of sorghum in rotation and feed that to the chickens. Generally sorghum out competes many weeds as it gets tall and they can't grow well in the shade. Or let the weeds grow and harvest them before they set seed to feed to the chickens, you'd be using the weeds as fodder so they become beneficial rather than a hindrance. Chickweed grows well through the winter and chickens absolutely love it.
That's a great idea!

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:26 am

Yeah I saw that the other week, slight issue is getting the amount of compost together to do it. Although I could go round to the local restaurants and see if we can nab their food wastage.
If there is a tofu-ya san near you go ask him about okara. Good for chickens and pigs too.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

gonbechan wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:45 am
If there is a tofu-ya san near you go ask him about okara. Good for chickens and pigs too.
That's a good idea, likewise if you have any fishmongers nearby their waste is also good for chickens. We occasionally get fish heads, guts and other offal from a friend and the chickens love it.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

With the help of 2 month out of date beer and podcasts I've been going at it digging up the upturned bamboo and roots by hand for the last few days or so shredding my hands in the process.
Slowly getting there, obviously once I've done it all i'll need to get hold of another digger and re-dig the ground up again and then clear out what it finds.

I ideally I need that thing Ultraman has to increase in size so I can just scoop all this stuff up quicker.