Seeding time

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
farmingnoob

Re: Seeding time

Post by farmingnoob »

I didn't want to start a new thread for this...

I'm really disappointed with how my snap pea seeding went this season.

I was hoping for a big pea harvest so I seeded about 12 planters with this seed in early November:

https://shop.sakataseed.co.jp/item/13000011_2__

I made sure the soil stayed moist without watering much. Some of the seedlings grew to around 30cm. Now the seedlings are brown and all dried up. I also noticed the roots didn't seem to go far down. I think all of them are completely dead now.

Any ideas? We never had snow and I thought peas could handle some frost.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

In theory peas should be able to tolerate quite cold temperatures but it's not always the case. In fact I've stopped planting our pea crops in early winter because so many died and have only just now seeded our spring crop (just waiting on them to germinate).

We had two nights were it got down to -5C here in Chiba and with you being a little further north you might have even got a bit colder. If the plants were young that could have been enough to kill them. This just conjecture but a possible reason they may have died in planters is because planters don't have the same thermal mass as the soil so they got colder than ones planted directly in the soil but having said that I've lost peas even growing directly in soil during harsh winter nights.

It's not too late to seed a new crop, if done now you should start harvesting in May and continue till it gets too hot for them in June. You could also seed some bush or pole beans at the same time to add some variety, pole beans will go through the rainy season better than bush beans as they are less affected by the humidity growing up poles or nets.

farmingnoob

Post by farmingnoob »

Thank you for the advice. I just planted a few more today. Hopefully the frost doesn't come back!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Judging by the weather we've had the last few days I don't think you'll have to worry about getting any more hard frosts.

farmingnoob

Post by farmingnoob »

In that case, hopefully the plants don't get cooked! :angry-screaming:

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Well there's always going to be something to keep you on your toes, perhaps this year the weather will surprise us all with a super early typhoon in May or June :scared-eek:

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:30 pm
Well there's always going to be something to keep you on your toes, perhaps this year the weather will surprise us all with a super early typhoon in May or June :scared-eek:

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

:angry-devil:

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

It's time to start getting ready for ginger if you are planning to grow it this year. It's pretty easy as very few insects seem to eat it and it doesn't get affected by many diseases. Once you get your seed ginger split it down into small segments like so.

Top rhizome is how it came and the row below are about the size you want to break it down into. Bury it in shallow trenches and cover over, Ginger likes plenty of nutrients so give it lots and then wait for your harvest. You can pull some early in the summer like these.

Or wait until your first frosts kill off the top growth and harvest big fat roots in the autumn.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Now is a good time to grow sweetcorn and let's face it there's nothing quite as tasty as a freshly harvest cob or sweetcorn. If grown in tunnels then it could have been planted two or three weeks ago but planting straight in the ground now is fine. If you are growing fast maturing varieties they should harvest before most of the summer pests are in great numbers or you can mix up some Bacillus Thuringiensis and spray it over the cobs and into the hairs as most of the caterpillars that eat the corn enter through the hairs.

If you are growing different varieties then separate them by about two weeks between seeding to avoid cross pollination and sow in blocks rather than lines to aid fertilisation. Aim for one or two cobs per plant and pick any others off to use as baby corn.