A stinging thought about takenoko

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
gonbechan
Founder
Founder

A stinging thought about takenoko

Post by gonbechan »

Spring is almost upon us and of course the bamboos are going to start shooting.
We all know that there is one among us who has a slight problem with bamboo shoots running away from home.
And I was wondering, are there stinging nettles in Japan.
I know you can do some awesome cookery with them, but wouldn't it be amusing to plant some in the bamboo shooting area, pop up a few trail cameras and have a live feed on youtube.
Or am I being a little bit too mean in my imaginings?

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: A stinging thought about takenoko

Post by Zasso Nouka »

gonbechan wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:52 pm
We all know that there is one among us who has a slight problem with bamboo shoots running away from home.
Damned inoshishi :lol:
gonbechan wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:52 pm
I know you can do some awesome cookery with them, but wouldn't it be amusing to plant some in the bamboo shooting area, pop up a few trail cameras and have a live feed on youtube.
Or am I being a little bit too mean in my imaginings?
So you think setting up the electric fence energiser and tangle wires again this year is a bad idea :twisted:

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

The nettles would have been tres entertaining though. :lol:

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

When this baba, whoops sorry inoshishi goes out hunting she's clad in the thickest monpe :lol:

Shizuman

Post by Shizuman »

My uncle had one of those bird scaring gas guns on the farm, sounds Rinky dink like a rifle, goes off every now and then, I rekon that hooked up to a motion sensor would scare the crap out of a prowling inoshishi or otherwise!

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Shizuman wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:34 pm
My uncle had one of those bird scaring gas guns on the farm, sounds Rinky dink like a rifle, goes off every now and then, I rekon that hooked up to a motion sensor would scare the crap out of a prowling inoshishi or otherwise!
The takenoko-pinching-otherwise that haunts Zasso's patch is a brazen one. I reckon a few gunshot sounds won't bother her, um I mean it .. in the least.

This is the 'Lesser Spotted Otherwise' which is a close relation (allegedly) to the Takenoko-Pinching-Otherwise. The plumage is quite similar.

Shizuman

Post by Shizuman »

Wow a wild specimen posing for a photo! Indeed brazen! Would a ring of roses brighten up the area? Or blackberries are rather deliciouse too!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

I should probably explain.

It's been a running joke for a little while that one of the obaasan's from our village was taking our takenoko. It started off with her coming around on her bike and asking if we could spare a few and we sure, help yourself. So she took a few back home. Then the next year she came back and we let her go into the forest and help herself but we noticed we were suddenly getting a lot less takenoko than normal and there appeared to be holes all over the forest floor but as we had been working away from the house at farmer's markets we hadn't seen what she was doing.

The next year she came back in her kei truck and pilled it high with our takenoko just before our largest farmer's market so we had no takenoko to sell. It was when she came back again later that week with the kei truck that things boiled over and I accused her of stealing our takenoko, which didn't go down well and ended up with her husband coming around. He was really pissed off and was saying what a great insult it was to his family who had made great sacrifices during the second world war losing some members in Burma, now I'll be the first to admit at this point I probably shouldn't have said my uncle was also in Burma and might have shot one or two of them but heat of the moment and all that. Yet it was this that actually calmed the situation down rather bizarrely and he explained that their land borders ours in the forest but they had abandoned it many years ago and his wife had said she was only taking takenoko from their land.

So we went down into the forest and showed him where she had been digging on our land and that there was no digging on their land at all, theirs is ex tanbo so really boggy and bamboo doesn't grow there well. He eventually admitted she had been taking takenoko from our land. He wasn't totally mollified and several folk in the village said we should have had a bigger heart and let her take takenoko, which would have been fine if she was just taking a few rather than truckloads at a time. Rather amusingly the guy that said we should have had a bigger heart had his tractor stolen a few months later and was complaining about it, I don't think he was amused when I pointed out that maybe he should have had a bigger heart and showed more compassion to the thieves.

Apparently takenoko thievery is quite the thing in the countryside, Gonbechan had some amusing videos from Youtube.

Shizuman

Post by Shizuman »

Wow! She came with a Kei truck! That's impressive!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Shizuman wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:13 am
Wow! She came with a Kei truck! That's impressive!
The scale of her cheekiness was certainly impressive :lol: