Has anyone ever grown (insert wotever)?

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Has anyone ever grown (insert wotever)?

Post by gonbechan »

Because we need a thread to ask if someone else has ever grown something

I was looking at seeds (shironeggi etc) and saw various variety leek seeds.
I love leeks, haven't had them in Japan ever.

So has anyone ever grown leeks and if so which ones and when to plant and how did they go? Nudge nudge wink wink... is she a goer? etc/. :D

Wendy

Re: Has anyone ever grown (insert wotever)?

Post by Wendy »

Hi! We have leeks ( I think they are leeks) but grown from starts not seeds (this is central Nagano).

My question: have you ever grown pomegranates? We have a young bush/tree we bought in southern Kyoto and hoping that we can make it grow here.

We are also trying to grow ginger (they sell the starts here, so someone must be having success)....but was a bust last summer. Maybe not enough moisture.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Ginger does really well in a big planter.

I just originally used a leftover lobe from the ginger I bought in the super market and bunged it in a planter that has a mix of roughly 70% potting soil and 30% coco coir. (once you have grown ginger you can always save a few bits in a cool dark place for the next year)
Be careful not to plant it too deep or shallow. 2~3cm deep seems to be the sweet spot.
Now is exactly the time to be planting ginger too, so yay.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

We tried growing leeks last year but failed ultimately as we didn't tend to the spot that much and the weeds just took over and the leeks just didn't really grow that much.
We bought some starters and planted them the same time as the spuds so around April time. Was hoping to make Leek and Potato soup....

If you keep weeding regularly and making sure to mound the soil up also you'll be more successful than us at growing them.
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

oh I think maybe everybody is talking about these

when I am talking about these which are also sometimes known as 'Welsh Onions' in Japan. We dont have starters for these in our area so you might be luckier than me, and I am wrong lol

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

ahhhh ok, yeah we grew the long ones.
Haven't seen Welsh Onion shorts here, although we did buy some ポロネギ seeds the other month, just never got round to actually sowing them. Guess they'll have to wait until next year now.
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

I've grown Shimonita Negi before, they are quite a nice negi but ours never got as fat as proper Welsh leeks. They were fatter than regular negi and I would grow them again but not the same as leeks I've seen back in the UK.

@Wendy ginger should grow in Nagano, you'll have a slightly shorter season but should still get a decent harvest, specially if you like the tender young ginger you can harvest in the summer. The main thing is to start them sprouting like you would chit potatoes before planting them outside and when you do put them out plant them with the 'eyes' (point where last years leaves/shoots came out of the tuber) upwards. They like a lot of fertiliser/compost, I mean don't go crazy but they are heavy feeders.

donguri

Post by donguri »

Wendy wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:42 am

My question: have you ever grown pomegranates? We have a young bush/tree we bought in southern Kyoto and hoping that we can make it grow here.
We have an established pomegranate tree and it produces fruit but they're all quite small. The most spectacular feature of the tree is its flowers, which are just now starting to bloom. We don't really do any particular tending of this tree, though, so there may be some specific care that would improve the fruits. I did a fairly heavy pruning about a month ago - now thinking I should have cut MORE - so maybe next year or the following the fruit situation will be different. We're located in northeast Aichi, elevation 300m .