Hello from Gifu

Please introduce yourself
Inakappe

Hello from Gifu

Post by Inakappe »

Hey there,
Had a friend introduce me to this site yesterday and I've been stuck on it all day!
I bought a house in Gifu 2 years ago and live there with my wife and 2year old daughter. Coming from New Zealand I wouldn't really call where I live the countryside but people in Nagoya or Gifu city tell me I'm a country bumpkin (Inakappe) now so there you go! I'd say semi-rural maybe?
I bought a house, well two (Main plus hanare) and have a good sized garden or hatake for growing fruit and vege.
Am really into growing fruit and have some already established persimmon, yuzu, dekopon etc plus being a kiwi I also have a few feijoa trees put in.
I`ve been considering getting:
-chickens
-bees (Was ready to order from the kyoto site, can't remember the name...)
-maybe a goat
-and of course more fruit and veges to experiment with!
Looking over past posts has given me some good ideas and things to think about already.
Like most of you guys, I seem to spend more time battling weeds than anything else but am enjoying being by the mountains with some good fresh.. Gobi Desert Dust.. Sugi pollen.. PM2.5.. infested air.
Cheers

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Hello from Gifu

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Hi Inakappe and welcome to Japan Simple Life. We really do appreciate you taking the time to sign up and join our little community, we're not the liveliest place on the internet but I'd like to think we are pretty friendly and welcoming.

Sounds like you have a lot going on at your place, totally awesome. I'm absolutely jelly of your dekopon, mine died during a particularly harsh winter along with the pomegranate trees. Feijoa are still alive but not fruit yet :( , perhaps I can get some advice from you on their care ?

As for chickens there are a few folk here that keep them, quite honestly there's nothing as tasty as a proper free range egg. We let ours free range out into our fields, they do eat some of the plants but it's a price worth paying for all the insects they eat and the eggs we get in return.

Bees, I'd like to tell you something about them but am still waiting to capture a swarm myself. I think @Shizuman has bees at the moment.

As for goats I think @Eric in Japan is the person to speak to about them.

Anyway let me extend the warmest of welcomes to Japan Simple Life and hope you enjoy your time here.

Inakappe

Post by Inakappe »

Thank you. Yeah, I've really enjoyed reading through some past threads and seeing what everyone's written. Great to have this forum to get share ideas and get advice from people in similar situations.
Zasso Nouka wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 7:08 pm
Sounds like you have a lot going on at your place, totally awesome. I'm absolutely jelly of your dekopon, mine died during a particularly harsh winter along with the pomegranate trees. Feijoa are still alive but not fruit yet :( , perhaps I can get some advice from you on their care ?
I was lucky that when I moved in the dekopon's were already planted and established by the previous owner so all I've done is given them a decent pruning. That and the fact that the last winter was relatively warm.
As for the feijoas, do you have more than one variety and are they flowering?
You need more than one variety apparently (I have three). Also in New Zealand we have birds that pollinate the flowers (the passionfruit too) but here you normally need to manually polinate them yourself (easily done with a fine paint brush or just by gently rubbing the flowers together. There are youtube videos if you are unsure). I have four trees but they are still a bit mangly and get quite a bit of wind to deal with so I only got about 10 fruit last year, but this should increase as they get a bit bushier.
Last year they also had brown spots on quite a few of the leaves which I read is probably due to the rainy season. I'll see how they go this year.
Btw, mine are just starting to flower now so it's probably a good time to go out and have a gander.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Inakappe wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:37 am
As for the feijoas, do you have more than one variety and are they flowering?
You need more than one variety apparently (I have three). Also in New Zealand we have birds that pollinate the flowers (the passionfruit too) but here you normally need to manually polinate them yourself (easily done with a fine paint brush or just by gently rubbing the flowers together. There are youtube videos if you are unsure). I have four trees but they are still a bit mangly and get quite a bit of wind to deal with so I only got about 10 fruit last year, but this should increase as they get a bit bushier.
Last year they also had brown spots on quite a few of the leaves which I read is probably due to the rainy season. I'll see how they go this year.
Btw, mine are just starting to flower now so it's probably a good time to go out and have a gander.
Wow that's really good to know, thank you. We only have one feijoa bush so that's probably our problem there :doh: and goes a long way towards explaining why we've never had any fruit from it, I'll look into getting another couple of bushes and see if that helps get some fruit going.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Inakappe (great name btw)
Really great to have you here with your amazing garden.