Tim in Fukushima

Please introduce yourself
cook015

Tim in Fukushima

Post by cook015 »

Greetings, everyone,

I'm not really a new member because I was in the old forum, but it was so long ago that I participated that I didn't even realize it had moved to this new place until a few days ago. I teach English in a small university in Iwaki, but because of our proximity to Fukushima Dai-ichi, I don't intend to live in here long-term, even though the radiation in Iwaki itself is still within the pre-Fukushima level of acceptability for the public.

I'm betting this forum is full of dreamers, so I'll go ahead and share my dream, which is to find an old Japanese farmhouse that's still salvageable, in a village with other salvageable houses, attract others to move there and make a viable community based on sustainable agriculture. Am perhaps overly influenced by Azby Brown's book, Just Enough: Lessons in Living Green From Traditional Japan, but the Edo Period shows me that, even with its sacrifices, a life of low consumption based on natural materials can be elegant. My wife's father is from western Fukushima Prefecture, which was minimally affected by radiation (the whole world was affected somehow), and we're looking into that area. This August we'll make a venture in that direction, assuming it's reasonable to travel then.

Looking forward to more interactions with everyone.

Tim Cook

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Tim in Fukushima

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Perhaps instead of welcome to Japan Simple Life Okaerinasai might be better, glad you found your way back :clap:, it's been quite a while since we moved here so nice to see you made it.
cook015 wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 11:34 am
I'm betting this forum is full of dreamers, so I'll go ahead and share my dream, which is to find an old Japanese farmhouse that's still salvageable, in a village with other salvageable houses, attract others to move there and make a viable community based on sustainable agriculture. Am perhaps overly influenced by Azby Brown's book, Just Enough: Lessons in Living Green From Traditional Japan, but the Edo Period shows me that, even with its sacrifices, a life of low consumption based on natural materials can be elegant.
Now that sounds like an ambitious plan and at the same time a wonderful way to regenerate the countryside. Would it be modelled on the communes of the 70's or a bit more individualistic but sharing a common purpose ? A life in agriculture can be fulfilling and deeply satisfying, what other career offers 3 hour siestas during the summer :dance:.

Would you be looking to incorporate sustainable energy generation and modern farming practices or a more back to basics approach ?
cook015 wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 11:34 am
My wife's father is from western Fukushima Prefecture, which was minimally affected by radiation (the whole world was affected somehow), and we're looking into that area. This August we'll make a venture in that direction, assuming it's reasonable to travel then.

Looking forward to more interactions with everyone.

Tim Cook
I hope you do find somewhere suitable and honestly look forward to seeing how your plan progresses. Certainly sounds like it would create a nice place to live once you do get it going.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Great to have you back, Tim.

Big dreamer here too. How else can we go on without those dreams, right?

Like Zasso says it sounds like an ambitious plan but IMO probably more attainable than most dreams.
With the farming generation becoming more and more geriatric, and not many heirs wanting to step into farming shoes, your dream might just grow some super strong legs!

Looking forward to more posts from you.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Welcome to the board, nice to see another fellow Fukushimian.

Might I recommend Nihonmatsu? The scenery is lovely here, loads of small valleys, plenty of abandoned farms (sadly) and it's fairly close to Fukushima city and Koriyama.
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

Eric in Japan

Post by Eric in Japan »

Hi Tim, long time no see!
"... so, the cucumbers said to the cabbage, `Lettuce Go.`"

cook015

Post by cook015 »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:53 pm
Welcome to the board, nice to see another fellow Fukushimian.

Might I recommend Nihonmatsu? The scenery is lovely here, loads of small valleys, plenty of abandoned farms (sadly) and it's fairly close to Fukushima city and Koriyama.
How much is radiation a concern in your area? On radiation maps, Nihonmatsu looks kind of high, higher than the pre-Fukushima level of acceptable radiation for the general public, but then I don't understand radiation enough to know what was so acceptable about the old limit, or why it was OK to raise it.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

No real concern where we are however you aren't allowed to sell stuff like Takenoko or grow and sell shitake naturally using tree stumps etc but instead have to use wood mulch imported from other areas or whatever it is.
That's about it really.
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

Lohas

Tim in Fukushima

Post by Lohas »

Hi Tim, I'm near Aizuwakamatsu, happy to meet up, there are a lot of empty properties around and we found local authorities to be very helpful.