Employment Status & Home Loan Questions

A place for properties in the countryside
mcsim

Employment Status & Home Loan Questions

Post by mcsim »

The company I work for in the US is currently exploring options for relocating me to Japan and I'm trying to understand what my ideal scenario is if I eventually intend to take out a loan to buy land and property in the countryside.

My company has a small branch in Tokyo (though I will be able to work remote) and will likely be able to provide a work visa. My wife is Japanese but does not have a job lined up in Japan if we moved there, so I would be the primary income earner.

I've heard that it can be difficult for foreigners to get loans and I'm wondering if I should ask my company if they can also transfer my employment to the Japanese KK? Are there any other pros/cons of being employed by a US entity vs a Japanese entity I should consider?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Employment Status & Home Loan Questions

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Perhaps someone else can contribute more information but I have also heard that many smaller Japanese banks are reluctant to give mortgages to folk not having PR but it may be possible with some of the more modern or international banks if you have a solid visa and job but this is more anecdotal than a cast iron guarantee.

Something to consider is your tax situation when working here, US citizens seem to have a lot more complex tax situation than non US citizens so that may affect who it is better to be employed by. Not being from the US I'm not sure what the situation is but I vaguely remember something about having to file taxes both in Japan and the US. I don't think you get double taxed or anything like that but from what I've heard it is somewhat more complex than for the rest of us.

donguri

Post by donguri »

This is a situation that is filled with "depends". I think a major hurdle for getting a loan would be your lack of any employment/banking/living history in Japan. Or maybe you do from the past? However, if your wife is Japanese, her family history/connections may be enough of an advantage to overcome that. Additionally, many rural areas are lenient with rules in order to attract new residents. In any case, be prepared to deal with a lot of hoops to jump through and remember to be patient.

Good luck to you !

mcsim

Post by mcsim »

Yeah, fortunately I do have an active bank account there (though there's not much sitting in it right now) and I did live there for 3 years in the past. I'm also hoping that rural areas will be more lenient. I suppose there's nothing to do but give it a shot!

Shizuman

Post by Shizuman »

Gday

So my wife and I have found the dream farm, so we are working toward getting the ok to buy the agricultural land right now which is good. I'm interested to see the differences between different cities and prefectures. Anyway the place has a house thats 20 something years old so we are concerned that banks will be a bit reluctant to give us a loan, does anyone have any tips or recommendations for banks more willing to loan on older places?
cheers

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Awesome news on the property man, hope it goes through for you. Sadly can't offer any advice on the bank loan but hopefully someone else can, is 20 years old too old for a loan ?

Best of luck.

Shizuman

Post by Shizuman »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:25 am
is 20 years old too old for a loan ?

Best of luck.
Cheers mate

Yea apparently its something they use to judge the loan. The place is in pretty good nic but just the age i think is a problem

Ibaraki llama

Post by Ibaraki llama »

Ours was 30 years and we got a renovation loan. JA bank seem to be pretty flexible - I don’t think they’d worry too much about the age of the place. Speak to them and they may even consider extra money for renovations if needed.

starting_the_dream

Post by starting_the_dream »

Similar to Ibaraki Llama. Our house is about 30 years old and we got a home/renovation loan with a local bank. 40% of the loan was for buying the property and 60% for renovations.

Shizuman

Post by Shizuman »

Ibaraki llama wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:36 pm
Ours was 30 years and we got a renovation loan. JA bank seem to be pretty flexible - I don’t think they’d worry too much about the age of the place. Speak to them and they may even consider extra money for renovations if needed.
Thanks for the info mate!

Ill give JA a go and see how we go.
Saw your vid the other day and its looking really good mate, good choice with the gutters