Rotten wood replacement project

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
Tora

Post by Tora »

KumamotoHunter wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:05 pm

Spot on. Previous owners had a veranda there, and just let it rot....
Was thinking you might want to inspect any other places that might have had a wood deck or porch roof as the same thing might have happened there. If those old guys are in the area they might be able to give a professional assessment as well. Better to catch that kind of thing before it gets too bad.

Hope this (these) typhoon(s) don’t hit you too hard

KumamotoHunter

Post by KumamotoHunter »

Tora wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:52 pm
KumamotoHunter wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:05 pm

Spot on. Previous owners had a veranda there, and just let it rot....
Was thinking you might want to inspect any other places that might have had a wood deck or porch roof as the same thing might have happened there. If those old guys are in the area they might be able to give a professional assessment as well. Better to catch that kind of thing before it gets too bad.

Hope this (these) typhoon(s) don’t hit you too hard
Thanks.
Funny story; one of the guys who did the repairs was involved in the original building of the house, back in 1997. When he came to give me a quote, he said something along the lines of "Yep, I knew that veranda was a bad idea, but they insisted on it!".
I have checked all the other exterior wood when I stained it with Wood Guard. There were a couple of smaller, rotten sections in the top part of two posts which I was able to dig out with a finger and then apply a wood hardener to. Over that I applied Wood Guard and this putty stuff which dries rock hard.