Chickens !!!!

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
DocDoesFarming

Chickens !!!!

Post by DocDoesFarming »

New Year new something something

So we got a new chicken coup built thanks to Mr Bank Loan, also got ourselves a Tractor as well.
This new house can hold about 200 chickens or so and we've made ourselves 2 areas inside for two different flocks so that way we can easily raise one flock this year (March/April) and another next year. The year after that the current flock will have stopped producing eggs so we'll retire them and then buy and raise another new flock in the other house.
So basically each year we will be buying new chicks and after 2 and a bit years culling them each year, it's shitty but it needs to be done.

We've ordered the chicken wire so I'll probably be spending a week or more hanging all that shit up when it arrives, also digging and burying fencing around the place....

Just finishing up the second nesting box at the other end, takes about 3 days of farting about to make them.

For anyone else thinking of using green houses to raise chickens, make sure you don't own a cat. They fucking love climbing on top of them...
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

VanillaEssence

Chickens !!!!

Post by VanillaEssence »

Looks great! Are you doing meat birds or just layers? How much can you get for meat/eggs?

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Chickens !!!!

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Man, your polytunnel houses look great, solidly constructed and well put together and the laying boxes really look good, very well put together. Must have taken you guys quite a bit of work putting the houses up and getting them covered, how long does the white covering last ?
DocDoesFarming wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:33 pm
For anyone else thinking of using green houses to raise chickens, make sure you don't own a cat. They fucking love climbing on top of them...
One of our cats loves sleeping on top of ours. At first we couldn't work out why we were getting tiny puncture holes in the PO sheeting until we found her sleeping on the top of one :lol:, I guess it's nice and warm up there.

DocDoesFarming

Chickens !!!!

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:48 am
Man, your polytunnel houses look great, solidly constructed and well put together and the laying boxes really look good, very well put together. Must have taken you guys quite a bit of work putting the houses up and getting them covered, how long does the white covering last ?
Thank you however we got a local company to do it for us because of the size, if it was one of the smaller tunnels I would have done it myself. I think it took them about 5 days or so to do it all, I chipped in also to help.
The covering should last 10 years, that's a job I ain't looking forward to doing getting that replaced.
VanillaEssence wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:43 pm
Looks great! Are you doing meat birds or just layers? How much can you get for meat/eggs?
These will be layers, as far as the price goes we charge about 320 yen for a 6 pack + tax and whatever handling fees the shops have we add on top. But roughly we aim at 50 yen per egg.

Shizuman

Chickens !!!!

Post by Shizuman »

Gday Doc

That is an awesome setup!
what diameter arches did you go with on you house?
Also with your tractor did you get a bucket on it?

DocDoesFarming

Chickens !!!!

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Hey mate.
Size is 6.5m by 27m in length.
Sadly no bucket on the tractor I wanted one but none were available, my neighbour has one with it though so if I'm need of it I could ask him.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Chickens !!!!

Post by Zasso Nouka »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:28 am
The covering should last 10 years, that's a job I ain't looking forward to doing getting that replaced.
10 years is pretty good. Replacing with a new one when you need it isn't a difficult job, so long as you choose a windless day :lol:. A single person can do it in an hour or two. When you buy a replacement it will come folded in a manner that is easy to move down the tunnel pulling tight and securing as you go. That way you don't have the whole tunnel length flapping in the wind.

Shizuman

Chickens !!!!

Post by Shizuman »

Thats a good size!

thanks mate

DocDoesFarming

Chickens !!!!

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:41 pm
10 years is pretty good. Replacing with a new one when you need it isn't a difficult job, so long as you choose a windless day :lol:. A single person can do it in an hour or two. When you buy a replacement it will come folded in a manner that is easy to move down the tunnel pulling tight and securing as you go. That way you don't have the whole tunnel length flapping in the wind.
10 years would be nice, depends on the cats though and if they keep climbing on top of it. Maybe patching it up with that polytunnel tape extends its lifespan.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Chickens !!!!

Post by Zasso Nouka »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:12 pm
10 years would be nice, depends on the cats though and if they keep climbing on top of it. Maybe patching it up with that polytunnel tape extends its lifespan.
The repair tape certainly helps as it stops little holes tearing into much larger one. It also depends on what material the sheet is made from, vinyl splits much easier than PO in cold conditions. You can also keep a hose nearby and once the cats associate getting a shower when they are up there it will temper their enthusiasm for climbing on top of your tunnels :lol: