What are you watching?

Shoot the breeze, chew the fat or whatever you fancy
DocDoesFarming

What are you watching?

Post by DocDoesFarming » Thu May 09, 2019 8:24 pm

Seeing as there's a post for books and music and not one for TV (unless I need to get new glasses) I thought I'd create one.

I'll start this off.

To help with the boredom of doing Kanji writing practice I thought I'd stick on Star Trek the Next Generation in the background. Problem is I'm watching the series more now than actually doing any Kanji practices.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: What are you watching?

Post by Zasso Nouka » Thu May 09, 2019 9:02 pm

Great idea for a thread :thumbup:

I'll start with the obvious, Game of Thrones. Not read the books and the series have had their good and bad moments but over all it's been quite enjoyable.

Also about to start over with Star Trek Discovery again, really enjoyed watching both series on the first run and am coming around to the idea that maybe Anson Mount as Christopher Pike just might be the best ever captain on Star Trek, period. Wading deep in heresy I know but he is pretty good.

Looking forward to the next series of Westworld, whenever that might be and not wishing to hurry the show runners. Also looking forward to new Rick & Morty's whenever they finally get around to making new ones.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan » Thu May 09, 2019 9:16 pm

Watching (via Kodi oops) Season 5 of Line of Duty.
On Netflix watching a Korean Crime/Supernatural drama (Korea does these so well) called Possessed.
Of course GOT but the episodes are rather long and getting tedious.

Other than that, nothing else at the moment.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming » Thu May 09, 2019 9:27 pm

Rick and Morty is amazing. Not quite the same but if you haven't seen it before, check out Venture Bros. It's like a mash Johnny Quest and a load of other things.

Game of Thrones... I loved this show until recently. They had 2 years to make this one and it's just a mess. They should have done 10 episodes and fleshed it out better, now it just feels rushed and low in quality compared to the earlier series.
The books are great, however because he's taking so damn long between each book I've given up. I'll wait for the in-depth wiki recap.

You know what, I haven't checked out Discovery yet. I liked the new Star Trek films for what they are, not sure why they get shat on a lot.
I did see the Pike scene though with the errmm chair (non spoiler for people who haven't seen it) and it was good. I'll give it a bash after TNG.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan » Fri May 10, 2019 4:21 am

Senor Gombe loves Rick and Morty, but to be honest I do not get the appeal.
I did love Futurama but never got into any other American animated series.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka » Fri May 10, 2019 6:03 am

GOT has certainly taken a turn for the worse in the last series, it's like the main characters got more stupid or two dimensional. The night king in particular has transformed from a mysterious unknown character into a normal run of the mill villain.
► Show Spoiler
Danny has gone from being a complex person with lofty ideals of freeing slaves and wanting to be a better ruler to a petulant child stamping her foot on the floor and demanding her throne and crown.
DocDoesFarming wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:27 pm
Rick and Morty is amazing. Not quite the same but if you haven't seen it before, check out Venture Bros. It's like a mash Johnny Quest and a load of other things.
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out :thumbup:
DocDoesFarming wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:27 pm
You know what, I haven't checked out Discovery yet. I liked the new Star Trek films for what they are, not sure why they get shat on a lot.
I did see the Pike scene though with the errmm chair (non spoiler for people who haven't seen it) and it was good. I'll give it a bash after TNG.
If you enjoyed the JJ Abrams films then you might like Discovery. I know a lot of folk hate on the show but it's done quite well. Sonequa Martin-Green is pretty good as Micheal Burnham (ok, maybe a stupid name choice) and so what if the main crew members are not all straight white males saving the galaxy, that's cool.
gonbechan wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 4:21 am
It's about the alcohol :lol:

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan » Fri May 10, 2019 6:57 am

Maybe I should be looking into strong zeros.
Sadly I have that alcohol intolerance gene thing and just go red and fall asleep after one drinkipoo.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming » Fri May 10, 2019 7:21 am

gonbechan wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 4:21 am
I did love Futurama but never got into any other American animated series.
Futurama is fantastic, just a shame there's no more episodes. Although I guess it's better to burn out than fade away, or turn into the Simpsons and stop being funny.

Not sure why but people seem to love Archer.

Ibaraki llama

Post by Ibaraki llama » Fri May 10, 2019 8:24 am

Agree, GoT has gone disappointingly bad in series 7 and 8 in their rush to finish it. At least we can look forward to the books if they ever get finished as I'm sure GRR Martin will take more time and care in finishing the story properly.

I never got Archer either.

I did enjoy the latest Ricky Gervais series on Netflix.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan » Fri May 10, 2019 5:00 pm

Zaimondos wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:24 am

I did enjoy the latest Ricky Gervais series on Netflix.
He usually irritates the shit out of me, but I also enjoyed the series, even though it was extremely depressing in parts.
What really confused me though was the announcement that there will be a part 2.
I cannot begin to imagine what could be added.