DIY am I bad?

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
DocDoesFarming

DIY am I bad?

Post by DocDoesFarming » Sun May 12, 2019 6:26 pm

So we finally got round to getting the kitchen floor replaced. We got a carpenter to do this as we get half the cost of it paid for by the city. It's made a big difference. I'll be doing the rest myself around the house with the limited skills I have.
I removed the rotten wall cupboards and scrubbed the manky area by the window and cleaned the plug sockets, no point buying new ones. Also removed all nails and pins stuck in the walls and filled and washed/sanded the walls ready for painting.

Before and after shots.

Does anyone have any links or videos on repairing 組子, the cross sections on the sliding doors. I have loads missing and would like to repair those at some point.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Re: DIY am I bad?

Post by gonbechan » Sun May 12, 2019 8:30 pm

I know its a little different style but the technique would be the same

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka » Mon May 13, 2019 5:55 am

Looks really good man, much better than before. Must have been hard work getting all the cupboards out and cleaning everything up but the results speak for themselves and you've now got a clean slate to create a nice new kitchen. The new floor is a 100% improvement over the old one, that's pretty sweet that your city helps out with some of the cost. They obviously want to help encourage new people to move there.

What are you planning to put in there to replace what you've taken out ? We fitted an IKEA kitchen in our house as they were so much cheaper than many of the Japanese kitchen makers and the quality seems fairly similar. The great thing we found with them is that you don't have to be a professional to fit their kitchens and can do most of the work yourself.

Looking forward to seeing more of your restoration as you do it :thumbup:

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming » Mon May 13, 2019 7:14 am

gonbechan wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:30 pm
I know its a little different style but the technique would be the same

Cheers, this will come in very handy. Just got to figure out how to make the cross sections. I'm guessing you can't just buy them and cut as needed?

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming » Mon May 13, 2019 7:17 am

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 5:55 am
What are you planning to put in there to replace what you've taken out ? We fitted an IKEA kitchen in our house as they were so much cheaper than many of the Japanese kitchen makers and the quality seems fairly similar. The great thing we found with them is that you don't have to be a professional to fit their kitchens and can do most of the work yourself.
Thank you!

I think we'll probably go with Ikea when everything is sorted. As you said it's cheap and usually looks good anyway. I doubt we'll buy it anytime soon as we have no need for the house aside from Shower.

Ibaraki llama

Post by Ibaraki llama » Mon May 13, 2019 11:02 am

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 5:55 am
We're thinking to do an IKEA kitchen in our place too, maybe combine it with some custom stuff I'll make myself. The Japanese unit kitchens are neat and practical (we've got some quotes for some), but expensive and somehow feel too "polished" for me.

Ibaraki llama

Post by Ibaraki llama » Mon May 13, 2019 11:04 am

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 6:26 pm
So we finally got round to getting the kitchen floor replaced. We got a carpenter to do this as we get half the cost of it paid for by the city. It's made a big difference. I'll be doing the rest myself around the house with the limited skills I have.
I removed the rotten wall cupboards and scrubbed the manky area by the window and cleaned the plug sockets, no point buying new ones. Also removed all nails and pins stuck in the walls and filled and washed/sanded the walls ready for painting.
Floors look very nice. Look forward to seeing your progress!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka » Tue May 14, 2019 6:10 am

Zaimondos wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:02 am
We're thinking to do an IKEA kitchen in our place too, maybe combine it with some custom stuff I'll make myself. The Japanese unit kitchens are neat and practical (we've got some quotes for some), but expensive and somehow feel too "polished" for me.
IKEA kitchens do offer far better value for money than many of the domestically made ones, specially considering they all use similar materials and if you have the skills to make some of the stuff yourself it should look pretty awesome once you fitted everything. Cabinet making is a skill I'd love to learn and may get around to it one day so really looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:13 am

Finally got round to painting the ceiling and walls the other day. We'll probably buy kitchen units later on down the road.

Just need to sort the doors out, paint/replace etc.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:58 am

It's looking so much better now, far cleaner and less cluttered than before