What are you playing?

Shoot the breeze, chew the fat or whatever you fancy
DocDoesFarming

Re: What are you playing?

Post by DocDoesFarming » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:46 pm

Does look awesome. Haven't touched my Switch in a long while though as I've been too busy jailbreaking my PS3 and playing "games I backed up from disc" wink wink.
Also going through my PS4 backlog. Wolfenstein is pretty damn awesome, Doom on the other hand was a bit lame I thought.

I just bought one of these to play some retro games while in bed or while the wife is watching garbage on TV. Free shipping also.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

dayunbao

Post by dayunbao » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:45 am

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:46 pm
Does look awesome. Haven't touched my Switch in a long while though as I've been too busy jailbreaking my PS3 and playing "games I backed up from disc" wink wink.
Also going through my PS4 backlog. Wolfenstein is pretty damn awesome, Doom on the other hand was a bit lame I thought.

I just bought one of these to play some retro games while in bed or while the wife is watching garbage on TV. Free shipping also.
I think I can soft mod my Wii since the firmware that it came with seems to be an early enough version to allow it. I'm not sure how many other Wii games I'm dying to play once I finish the Metroid Prime trilogy, though. Anyway, it might be a fun project to try the mod, and then play game roms on an external hard drive.

I went to the Retromimi website for the first time a few days ago. There's some interesting retro console makers out there. I can't justify buying most of them, though, since this will let you emulate almost any console on any device (Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, etc.). and it's free. I installed it on my laptop and phone. I'm using an 8BitDo SF30 Pro controller for the games I'm emulating with Retroarch (both on my laptop and phone) and the games I play on my Switch. A great little Bluetooth controller. Dead easy to pair with almost anything. Speaking of emulators, this is my go-to for any GameCube and Wii emulation. If you aren't familiar with it, it's worth checking out.

If I had the time, I'd love to build my own retro gaming handheld. There's a scene where people do that with Wiis and GameCubes. I just don't have the time to learning everything...at least not right now. Maybe later.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:24 am

dayunbao wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:45 am
I can't justify buying most of them, though, since this will let you emulate almost any console on any device (Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, etc.). and it's free.

If I had the time, I'd love to build my own retro gaming handheld. There's a scene where people do that with Wiis and GameCubes. I just don't have the time to learning everything...at least not right now. Maybe later.
Those little consoles are handy if you're on the go or something, I've got a Retropie setup for my TV but I need to get one of those Megadrive 6 button controllers for the Sega games because the button layout on a Xbox pad is horrible, although thinking about it there was only a few games that really needed that 6 button controller like Mortal Kombat, but I have the MAME versions installed anyway so it's not needed. Shame Retropie is a bit shit for N64 games mostly though.

I messed up recapping my Game Gear, I saw some instructions on turning that into a handheld but it looks like a lot of effort so I'll keep it as a .
I plan on making an arcade cabinet though at some point in the future, looks super simple to do with Retropie and you can get fairly cheap joystick kits.

dayunbao

Post by dayunbao » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:46 am

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:24 am
I plan on making an arcade cabinet though at some point in the future, looks super simple to do with Retropie and you can get fairly cheap joystick kits.
That sounds like fun. I've been wanting to learn to solder and do some more stuff with hardware for a while now. I've thought about starting with Retropie, as it seems pretty easy to put together.

Finished Metroid Prime 3 last night. Think I'm going to start the first game now.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:43 pm

dayunbao wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:46 am
DocDoesFarming wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:24 am
That sounds like fun. I've been wanting to learn to solder and do some more stuff with hardware for a while now. I've thought about starting with Retropie, as it seems pretty easy to put together.

Finished Metroid Prime 3 last night. Think I'm going to start the first game now.
I wish I actually practiced soldering before doing that Game Gear Recapping as it would have stopped me from messing up the last one. The plate listed off from the circuit board so I can't solder onto it now :/
If you plan on learning to solder, buy one of those practice board kits.

dayunbao

Post by dayunbao » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:57 am

Somewhat related to soldering, I took a day-long welding class a while ago. It was super fun. Come to find out, there were two other software engineers also taking the class. We all had roughly the same reason for wanting to learn to weld: getting a chance to do something hands-on with real hardware. Building things with software is fun, but lacks the tactile response you get from working with "real" things (rather than 1s and 0s). Well, for me that's only partly true. At the time, I had an old air-cooled VW with a lot of rust. So I was planning to weld on that car. I ended up just getting rid of the car, though. I didn't really have a good space to weld in. Once I settle down, I plan on getting another project car, but only when I have my own garage to work in.

Speaking of VWs, I've seen some sweet VW Notchbacks for sale in Japan. Notchbacks always go for a lot more than other old VWs in the US, but that doesn't seem to be the case in Japan. I'd love to get my hands on one.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:38 pm

Had to google what a Notchback was, never heard of it before. They look pretty cool. I always wanted one of the camper vans but I hear they break down often and I've got no clue about how to fix cars whatsoever.

I know what you mean about using your hands, not sure I can handle being a IT technician again stuck in an office, yeah there are jobs assembling servers or wiring up places and such but the rest of the time is just sat there with your head in your hands wondering what the hell is happening and waiting for updates etc.

I always wanted to do coding though but was too scared to actually start learning. Doubt I could handle the stress of that job though, especially in Japan with the poor pay they seem to get.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:43 pm

Just found out that the best way of getting your old consoles back to their original whiteness is to.... leave them out in the sun. No chemicals needed like they use in all those Youtube vids.

I'm currently testing this out on an old famicom that's the same colour as my tea stained teeth. Maybe I should start smiling more often outside so I get them sorted as well.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:32 am

I remember reading an interesting article in Scientific American many years ago that was the inspiration to get out of IT and do something more 'physical'. Was a long time ago now so don't remember all of the finer points but the basic premise was that working with your hands on something physically tangible was a lot more rewarding and mentally stimulating than working at a desk all day long in front of a computer.

They directly compared IT workers with craftsmen and observed brain activity while the two groups were working. Apparently our hands have an enormous amount of nerve ending for both tactile sense and motor control and this is reflected in how much brain area is taken up. See the cortical homunculus model showing how much brain area different parts of the body take up, the hands are huge.

Anyway, the long and short of the article was that folk that work with their hands stimulate a whole lot more of their brain when working than say someone working in IT and the mental rewards they get at the end of the day being able to see a physical object they have been working on was greater than knowing you've sorted out a particularly thorny network issue or crafted a well thought out software routine.

The article wasn't knocking working in IT and pointed out higher pay grades and less physically demanding work might have other rewards they hadn't measured. Apparently humans are hardwired to find crafting things with our hands a rewarding task and the article posited that it may go back to the millions of years we spent crafting flint tools.

dayunbao

Post by dayunbao » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:28 am

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:38 pm
Had to google what a Notchback was, never heard of it before. They look pretty cool. I always wanted one of the camper vans but I hear they break down often and I've got no clue about how to fix cars whatsoever.
Damn, this is a nice Notchback for around $10k USD. That car would go for a few times that price in the US.

Yeah, if you're going to drive old cars, it behooves you to be able to do your own maintenance. Having said that, old air-cooled VWs are quite simple machines compared to today's cars.

Any kind of VW van (either the old hippy buses from the 60-70s or the later Vanagons) have skyrocketed in value thanks to Millennial #vanlife culture, among other things. You have to have some cash to burn to be able to afford one of those now. The Vanagons have a pretty bad reputation for reliability. The old hippy buses are so simple there isn't much that can go wrong with them, so long as they're maintained regularly. Finding good quality parts for them is getting harder and harder from what I've heard, though. But if you live outside of the US, you can get the California, one of the new VW camper vans. Those look sweet. Or you can wait for the electric bus. One of those will probably cost about as much (or maybe even less) as one of the old ones (depending on several factors).