Suzumebachi

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Ibaraki llama

Suzumebachi

Post by Ibaraki llama » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:44 pm

Has anyone tackled a suzumebachi hive themselves? The sneaky buggers managed to build a decent sized one under my eaves without me noticing. It’s pretty high up and they don’t really bother me so would normally just let it be till winter, but we’re about to start work on the house so need to get rid of it.

dayunbao

Re: Suzumebachi

Post by dayunbao » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:51 am

Interestingly, the Wikipedia entry has a section about nest removal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_giant_hornet. Not sure if Wikipedia is the best source for this particular task, though.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:27 am

We tackled one in a similar situation a couple of years back, we noticed it quite early as they'd built it close to the house entrance. Got one of those long range spray cans from Yacs, think it had something like an 8 metre range. This isn't one of those jobs for getting up close and personal with :lol: and tackled the nest once it had been dark for a few hours. Gave it a few good sized blasts from the spray gun then broke open the nest with a long pole and sprayed it some more. We set up a torch pointing at the nest in the opposite direction to where we were standing so if any wasps flew out they would go in that direction and fly around the torch. Their night vision is pretty poor. Speed is off the essence, get in there spray, crack open the nest and spray again with as little movement and light as possible so they can't see you.

Not sure I'd want to tackle a full size nest on my own though.

Tora

Post by Tora » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:29 am

We have one. I did the hit and run with the long range spray a few times in the afternoon and they disappeared. Wearing proper protective clothing like an aloha shirt and beach sandals may or may not have helped. I didn’t break up the nest. The kid wants to use the nest for her summer homework and the wife wants to keep it around to deter other, less dangerous wasps. It also seems to deter the wife from coming to help with work :roll: Then they were back a week or two later. I hit em again and now I’ve been away for another week so I may have to start over. I guess the lesson is that you gotta get rid of that nest. I also learned I can still run like hell when the need arises 8-)

Ibaraki llama

Post by Ibaraki llama » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:40 am

Thanks, that's given me some ideas/confidence to try it myself. I've got one of the long distance spray cans already (12m it says) but really need to work on the strategy to get the nest. I'll hit it with the spray during the day and then try to beat it down at night using Zasso's idea of the dummy light. May get a cheap bee head net just in case.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:45 am

Be seriously careful. They can sting right through jeans fabric.
With the spray, you want to just keep on going until the nest is saturated.
You also do not want to be wearing black or dark colours.
If you can set up a fake person using a black gomi bag and tape the torch to that and then approach the nest from the opposite direction, you might be able to get them to go sting the gomi bag.

If you do get stung, go to the doctor. Its not the first time you get stung that will kill you, the chances of anaphylactic shock the second time you are stung is very high.

It costs about 1man to have them professionally removed. Other wasps and bees are cheaper. Most places will quote something stupidly cheap but when they arrive they will tell you all the reasons why it is going to cost more.

Zakiyama

Post by Zakiyama » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:16 pm

We did the spray can from the car window and drove away! Came back some hours later and they were all dead. The best wasn't too big yet though.

Ibaraki llama

Post by Ibaraki llama » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:35 pm

After thinking it through I've decided to call someone in the end. I sent him a video of the nest so hopefully the quote of 14,000 yen will stick. It is 5m up and in a bit of an awkward place. Wants to do it at night. Another company I called quoted me 65,000!

Here if you want to see: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0b0lfir2qimhm ... 0.MP4?dl=0

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:40 pm

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:27 am
We set up a torch pointing at the nest in the opposite direction to where we were standing so if any wasps flew out they would go in that direction and fly around the torch.
I used to do this often dealing with nests in the attic when I killed wasps for a summer job. Always did the trick.

My gear was a bee suit, ladder, a map (no smartphones or GPS when I dd this), a spray can of instant death, powdered bee insecticide.
The powdered stuff we used mainly, a quick spray with that and wait a few days for them to die. Fairly simple stuff and was safer than using the spray can as it had a long pipe we used to stab into the nest and spray.
Ibaraki llama wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:35 pm
Another company I called quoted me 65,000!
Some companies do take the piss don't they? That's outrageous.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:46 am

Zakiyama wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:16 pm
We did the spray can from the car window and drove away! Came back some hours later and they were all dead. The best wasn't too big yet though.
10 out of 10 for creativity :lol:, that's like some proper Gangsta style drive by :D