Career changes

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Aquilis

Career changes

Post by Aquilis »

So long story short, I graduated as an environmental manager this year and I want to get into conservation in Japan. My main issue is my Japanese simply isn't good enough and probably won't be for a while (need n2 or n1 for most positions I have seen).

So I am looking at setting up my own conservation sanctuary and running a campsite out of it with nature tours to make money. Very early stages at the moment but was wondering if anyone has experience here of setting up campsites in Japan and are aware of the legal process? For basic stuff, like planning sanitation and other essential facilities I am pretty covered on due to friends back home who have campsites, but any advice is always welcome!

Shizuman

Re: Career changes

Post by Shizuman »

I might know some people
ill be in touch

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Aquilis wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:52 pm
So I am looking at setting up my own conservation sanctuary and running a campsite out of it with nature tours to make money. Very early stages at the moment but was wondering if anyone has experience here of setting up campsites in Japan and are aware of the legal process? For basic stuff, like planning sanitation and other essential facilities I am pretty covered on due to friends back home who have campsites, but any advice is always welcome!
Glamping or whatever it's called seems to be popular here so I doubt you'll have any issues when it's all set up.
Try and find some magazines related to the subject (can't remember the name but there are some), might give you some ideas or tips on what to do.
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

dayunbao

Post by dayunbao »

I've been wondering how much success someone would have trying to reforest some of the unused farmland around Japan. You'd probably have to form some sort of NGO, lean heavy on the environmental benefits (helping combat climate change), and offer some kind of remuneration to owners of the land. If you were somehow successful in getting something like that off the ground, the next question would be "What do you do with the land?" I was thinking setting up parks inside them might be a good way to keep the land accessible and usable by the local people (where it makes sense to do that), but campsites would also be a good option. Anyway, only tangentially related to your question, but happened to remind of this idea I've had kicking around.

Aquilis

Post by Aquilis »

Yeah, I think the real challenge with something like that is always going to be how does it make money. The idea mostly came to me when I was walking around Tanuki lake in fujinomiya and saw how many people were camping there and in the area, even in autumn. What surprised me was how close together everyone was.

dayunbao

Post by dayunbao »

Aquilis wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:36 pm
Yeah, I think the real challenge with something like that is always going to be how does it make money. The idea mostly came to me when I was walking around Tanuki lake in fujinomiya and saw how many people were camping there and in the area, even in autumn. What surprised me was how close together everyone was.
Yeah, how to make money is always the question! Lol.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

A lot of more popular camping (among the locals) places in Japan are run by villages and municipalities.
Certainly the ones we have been to over the decades have been.
There are also many, many free camping sites in Japan.

There is a very hardcore camping crowd in Japan who do it regularly and most sites cater to those but also have plug and play type facilities available for those just starting out.

Camping in Japan is rather different from the Western idea of getting away from it all and roughing it for a few days in natural solitude.
Japanese outdoor activities like camping, hiking and mountain climbing are occasions where Japanese are at their most social and open to interaction with strangers. Children play together in groups and there is a lot of group parenting going on. At night new found friends gather to drink and talk late into the night while kids play with fireworks or run screaming through the forest :lol:

If you go out hiking or mountain climbing everyone greets each other. There is much cheerful hallooing and not much bowing. At camp sites, people openly chat and interact with others around them, often sharing impromptu meals and having campfire get-togethers.

The proximity to the tent next door is rarely a problem.
Facilities for the most part are simple and functional.
Communal outdoor kitchen areas, toilet blocks, cheap showers etc.
Bigger camping sites near visit worthy places tend to have more facilities and on site activities and amenities.

Among the hardcore crowd,more natural surroundings and being able to build your own fire on your tent site is really popular.
For the in-between crowd, more plug and play sites with choices of cabins, glamping, permanently parked camping trailers etc as well as on site amenities like tennis, swimming , restaurants, onsen, nightly communal campfire activities etc are far more in demand.

Links
https://www.hatinosu.net/camp/
https://www.nap-camp.com/
https://japan.nap-camp.com/en
https://www.campjo.com/
https://camp.tabinchuya.com/en.html
https://www.japan-experience.com/news/t ... g-in-japan