Wood Burning Stoves

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
Washoi

Wood Burning Stoves

Post by Washoi »

Tora wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:57 pm

I do wonder what the author of that article is doing wrong if he’s getting smoke in his face every time he opens his stove.
I have heard of this happening when people haven't had their flue swept for a long time.
Tora wrote:

I have heard that a number of people in the UK burn coal in their stoves as well as wood. I wonder if that is included in their assessment or if it’s just based on wood.
I am from the UK, my father has 3 seperate wood burning stoves. He uses coal in one of them. He said it's rated for it. the other 2 are wood only though.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Wood Burning Stoves

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Tora wrote:
It’s something to consider for sure. If that’s the case, though, everyone living in the inaka is screwed when the locals get a gumption to burn brush or leaves or weeds or … trash….
Without a doubt that certainly contributes to air pollution, particularly on these stil windless days. The difference between the UK and Japan might possibly be less burning of rubbish and plastic by homeowners although I imagine people living in the countryside abroad probably still burn off leaves and twigs in an open fire but maybe less often if the compost those.
Tora wrote:
I do wonder what the author of that article is doing wrong if he’s getting smoke in his face every time he opens his stove.
He is probably opening the door too quickly when refilling it. Since learning about polluting the inside of your home from a stove we now hold the door open a small amount so that fresh air is drawn rapidly in and apparently that flushes some of the small particles up the chimney. Since starting to do that we've noticed a lot less ash getting deposited in our loft area directly above the stove so hopefully that will result in less PM2.5 in the house. I did see some videos on Youtube where folk had PM2.5 testers that they used under various conditions and that's where we got the idea to open the door slowly rather than quickly.
Tora wrote:
I have heard that a number of people in the UK burn coal in their stoves as well as wood. I wonder if that is included in their assessment or if it’s just based on wood.
That's not mentioned in any of the articles but it's something that would be useful to know. I can't say for sure but I think that coal now sold in the UK is "smokeless" and burns a lot cleaner. The sale of 'wet' wood has been banned in the UK now in an attempt to cut the pollution but someone could still burn it if they harvest their own wood.
Tora wrote:
I am guessing by “particles (ppm)” he’s referring to smoke. I know we get a little smoke when starting up or adding new wood but otherwise no smoke to speak of. So, I wonder if the numbers are from an average burn from a modern stove, starting up, poorly burning stoves, old stoves, fireplaces, etc.
I think, but could well be wrong, the PM2.5 pollution they are referring to is not necessarily the same thing as smoke and creosote. You do find PM2.5 particles in smoke but they are also emitted when burning totally cleanly in modern 'eco' stoves you just don't see them as they are so small. This is the thing that surprised me that even modern clean burning stoves still emit a lot of PM2.5 particles, we thought when buying our stove that because it was clean burning it wouldn't be putting anything harmful out once it got going.
Tora wrote:
It’s definitely something I’ll keep my eyes open to in the future.
Same here and we still think a wood stove is a good option to heat a home but it's worth being mindful that there might be some negative aspects and try to minimise those through good burning practices.
Washoi wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:43 am
I am from the UK, my father has 3 seperate wood burning stoves. He uses coal in one of them. He said it's rated for it. the other 2 are wood only though.
I think the main difference are that for a coal burning stove the air comes from below and moves up through the coal bed, for a wood burning stove the air drops down from above onto the burning wood and a multi fuel stove has the option for both.

czaujapman

Wood Burning Stoves

Post by czaujapman »

Asking here as this topic seems close enough. I've got enough info from this thread to go on for the internal stoves, thanks! Now onto the external...

So I do not know exactly what we're looking for yet, just asking for opinions/recommendations on:
External wood fired piza-oven/smoker/grill(hot plate)? the idea being this will be part of our "outdoor kitchen".
It would be placed at the edge of a deck with stone/concrete flooring, the deck will have roof and slideable doors/walls, either plastic or glass. I think I'm looking for some sort of a hybrid betwen kamado and wood-fired pizza oven... :D

We have no shortage of firewood and no immediate neighbours so no trouble there.

Thanks!
“My technique is don’t believe anything. If you believe in something, you are automatically precluded from believing its opposite.” ― Terence McKenna

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Wood Burning Stoves

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Sounds like an interesting project, would you be building it yourself or buying something ready made ?

I've often toyed with the idea of making a wood fired bread oven (something like the one at ナオゾー in Tochigi) and trying my hand at making bread but sadly not got around to it yet. Probably something to try after I get too old for farming :lol:

czaujapman

Wood Burning Stoves

Post by czaujapman »

I will start with this pop-up thing I saw on youtube. That'll have to do while we're renovating + we have the bricks for it.
“My technique is don’t believe anything. If you believe in something, you are automatically precluded from believing its opposite.” ― Terence McKenna

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Wood Burning Stoves

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Seems fairly easy to build, are ordinary bricks ok or will they eventually crack ?

Tora

Wood Burning Stoves

Post by Tora »

czaujapman wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:18 pm
I will start with this pop-up thing I saw on youtube. That'll have to do while we're renovating + we have the bricks for it.
Should be good if you use cherry or another good wood for smokers.

What is the material used for the floor and ceiling of the oven. A simple plug and play option might pottery kiln shelves available from the pottery supply. Or more durable long fire bricks available from the same source.

I personally would build an earth oven. I’m trying to work up the motivation and design to build one and an outdoor bbq/kitchen. Other than motivation, the current major hurdle is a cheap/free folding roof design the I can pitch to the wife to assure her that it won’t cost even a small amount of (her) money or interfere with the view of the weeds out back.

Lots of YouTube vids on making earth ovens if you don’t know what they are. I’ve seen people put them on pallets on casters to make them mobile. They do need protection from the rain.

czaujapman

Wood Burning Stoves

Post by czaujapman »

czaujapman wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:49 am
Asking here as this topic seems close enough. I've got enough info from this thread to go on for the internal stoves, thanks! Now onto the external...
Found this internal fireplace made in Matsumoto - Nagano prefecture near enough to us in Yamanashi. Probably need to order soon if we wanna use it in winter. The lead times are fairly long by the looks of it.

czaujapman

Wood Burning Stoves

Post by czaujapman »

Tora wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:48 am
What is the material used for the floor and ceiling of the oven. A simple plug and play option might pottery kiln shelves available from the pottery supply. Or more durable long fire bricks available from the same source.
I think they just use simple concrete tiles. It's "quick & dirty" oven by the looks of it, but that does the job. I am worried about the possible "chemical" leaks from the tile when it burns. Not sure..