A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
VanillaEssence

Firewood

Post by VanillaEssence »

Excellent advice, Chuck!

Mountain Man

Firewood

Post by Mountain Man »

Thanks for the excellent tips everyone, exactly the sort of advice I was after.

KumamotoHunter

Firewood

Post by KumamotoHunter »

Finally got around to building a wood shed to store most of the wood I got my hands on this past year:

https://ibb.co/cJfjsTn

https://ibb.co/5Y1bj1m

https://ibb.co/JrnCKc5

This year I was lucky to get a lot of wood for free from a neighbor who cleared their land of trees.
The wood is 70% cedar, 20% chestnut, and 10% sawtooth oak. Probably about 15~16 tons in all.
The cedar will be seasoned by this coming winter; I have a tester to check the water content. The chestnut and oak I plan to use from winter 2023 going into 2024 (will be seasoned for 18-24 months by then).

I built this wood shed to store as much as I can fit in there! The remainder is stacked on plastic crates with a tarp over the top, which I take off on rain-free days. I need to put some wooden planks on the inside of the roof, because the tarp sags when we get lots of rain.
Woodshed is roughly 6m (l) x 2.5m (w) x 2.5m (h).
I use plastic crates on the ground to prevent the termites eating the wooden ones.
We get insane rain and typhoons around here (Kumamoto) during the summer and autumn, hence why it has walls on the two sides which get all the rain and wind. The air space under the wood, thanks to the crates, and the air space above the wood seem to allow a decent air flow. Haven't noticed any mold yet.

Tora

Firewood

Post by Tora »

@kumamotohunter

That looks good. If you ever decide to put a real roof on it, You might consider clear polycarbonate sheets- the “Nami ita” type are pretty easy to install and not exorbitant. They’ll let in sunlight (if that spot gets sunlight) which will make it hot in there and it should help your wood dry faster. Leaving some spaces for air to escape should get some natural circulation going. It would be interesting to see how fast you could get wood to dry compared to just stacking it under a roof that makes shade.

KumamotoHunter

Firewood

Post by KumamotoHunter »

Tora wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:34 pm
@kumamotohunter

That looks good. If you ever decide to put a real roof on it, You might consider clear polycarbonate sheets- the “Nami ita” type are pretty easy to install and not exorbitant. They’ll let in sunlight (if that spot gets sunlight) which will make it hot in there and it should help your wood dry faster. Leaving some spaces for air to escape should get some natural circulation going. It would be interesting to see how fast you could get wood to dry compared to just stacking it under a roof that makes shade.
This is what I plan to do in the future!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Firewood

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Wow man,

That is an epic woodshed, how long did it take you to construct ?

KumamotoHunter

Firewood

Post by KumamotoHunter »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:19 am
Wow man,

That is an epic woodshed, how long did it take you to construct ?
Thanks! With a friend, we made it in a day.
Incidentally, you can see the abject state of my previous chimney (as it exits the house) in the first photo above! More tape than metal holding the thing together! :lol:

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Firewood

Post by Zasso Nouka »

KumamotoHunter wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:28 pm
Incidentally, you can see the abject state of my previous chimney (as it exits the house) in the first photo above! More tape than metal holding the thing together! :lol:
OMG :eek:, I hadn't noticed till you mentioned it but it looks like a total death trap :lol: