hello all

Please introduce yourself
Lohas

hello all

Post by Lohas »

Hello all, my name is Rich, I live near Aizuwakamatsu and am attempting to farm rice and make sake. My wife and I have an interest in organic produce and also farm tourism. I'm happy to share my limited experience and hopefully gain some insights from the forum.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

hello all

Post by gonbechan »

Welcome to JSL. Happy to have you here and looking forward to hearing all about you.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

hello all

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Welcome aboard Rich,

Nice to have you here and thank you for signing up, we really do appreciate that.
Lohas wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 1:28 pm
I live near Aizuwakamatsu and am attempting to farm rice and make sake.
A lovely place to live, we come up to Ashinomaki Onsen at least once a year and love the area.

So, are you growing rice organically ? That must be quite a challenge, are you growing duck rice ?

Lohas

hello all

Post by Lohas »

Hi Zasso, thanks for your reply and yes organic duck rice. We make sake from the duck rice, this is our second year and so far so good. In the past school children have come to release the ducklings into the fields but that has had to stop but we will have some family days this year. we have a website at bondcafeaizu.com

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

hello all

Post by Zasso Nouka »

I wanted to do duck rice when we first came to Japan and am fascinated by the process but we got side tracked into vegetable farming so would be quite interested to hear how you do it. It's a real shame the school kids can't come at this time but hopefully soon enough things will start getting back to normal :pray:

Lohas

hello all

Post by Lohas »

I'm not big into facebook but my wife Aki posts up photos of each process as a running diary. If you send me your facebook name/image I'll get her to friend you. We took over from her father so we didn't have the huge leap of starting from scratch. Ideally we would like to scale down to a cottage industry at the moment we're connected to a neighbourhood normal farming co. and my brother in law with the ducks. Pulled between organic and normal farming.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

hello all

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Sadly I don't do FB due to privacy and security concerns and a deep distrust of Mark Zuckerberg and since they bought Instagram I've been thinking of giving that up.

Lohas

hello all

Post by Lohas »

don't blame you, as an observant comedian once said, 'if facebook was a pub you'ld drink somewhere else'.

hushashi

hello all

Post by hushashi »

Hey Rich, good to see you here, pinging you as I said I would. Thanks for the sake my good man. Absolutely fabulous stuff. Will definitely be buying more - and soon. A true treat. Only two bottles left of the four you sent... which is amazing cos I hardly drink at all anymore.

I'll be up at the Aizu place next week to get internet installed but timing is going to be tight with that, and I have water contractors doing some repairs, plus I am on the hook to work remotely from there for a couple days, but if we time this right you can probably send me another four bottles to my place in Aizu.

Anyway, just saying hello and looking forward to catching you in Fukushima soon.

Folks if you haven't tried his sake, you really ought to. Just wait for me to buy all I want, first lol :dance:

Otona Cream Pie

hello all

Post by Otona Cream Pie »

Hi Rich! My little escape in the mountains is in Shibata so the drive there/back from Saitama goes right through your neck of the woods. (I think I annoy anyone with me while passing by....I can't stop saying AIZU....BANGE BANGE BANGE!) Lovely area!