Post your country pictures!

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Insane

Post by Insane »

Dunno if this is inaka enough, but it's where I've lived for the past 30 years.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

thats really pretty. I just popped the image into a tag so it showed on your post.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

That's proper inaka there and absolutely beautiful :dance: :clap:

mudo

Post by mudo »

Otona Cream Pie wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:16 pm
So I'm attempting to build a log cabin waaaay out in the mountains of Niigata...

Behold, a river than is yet untouched by concrete :dance:

Do you own land up to the river? You can get compact hydro generators these days that don't dam the river at all and will generate as much power as you could possibly need or want. It's really the ultimate renewable energy source.

I have zero idea of the legal issues around doing this in Japan, but it is entirely gravity/water managed. You use a pipe to pull a relatively small amount water out from upstream, run it through the turbine that you keep in a shed far enough away from the river that it doesn't get flooded, and then return the water to the river.

Otona Cream Pie

Post by Otona Cream Pie »

mudo wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:17 pm
Do you own land up to the river? You can get compact hydro generators these days that don't dam the river at all and will generate as much power as you could possibly need or want. It's really the ultimate renewable energy source.

I have zero idea of the legal issues around doing this in Japan, but it is entirely gravity/water managed. You use a pipe to pull a relatively small amount water out from upstream, run it through the turbine that you keep in a shed far enough away from the river that it doesn't get flooded, and then return the water to the river.
Unfortunately no....but there is a small waterfall on the back side of my property and it flows year round. Been thinking of doing a water wheel of some sort but need to get a building finished first.

mudo

Post by mudo »

Otona Cream Pie wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:32 pm
Unfortunately no....but there is a small waterfall on the back side of my property and it flows year round. Been thinking of doing a water wheel of some sort but need to get a building finished first.
That might be even better! Compact hydro generators put out a lot of power for the cost and size. This Canadian company has an interesting product, might be worth checking out!

Otona Cream Pie

mudo wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:42 am
Otona Cream Pie wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:32 pm
That might be even better! Compact hydro generators put out a lot of power for the cost and size. This Canadian company has an interesting product, might be worth checking out!
That certainly looks interesting! I was more or less thinking of modifying a wind turbine with a water wheel setup but that looks easier and very feasible as well. :think:

czaujapman

Post by czaujapman »

Mulching the blueberries after getting rid of the horrible black plastic with weeds growing through.
1 tonne in - another 2 to be distributed around the berries and fruit trees that the previous owner planted.

“My technique is don’t believe anything. If you believe in something, you are automatically precluded from believing its opposite.” ― Terence McKenna

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

The wood chips are a great improvement over black plastic mulch, looks really nice :dance:

Is it sugi ?

Otona Cream Pie

Isn't it better to put the mulch on top of the black plastic weed barrier? Last time I tried mulch like that, with no weed barrier, the weeds came back with a vengeance.