Cost to redo all the electrical and plumbing in a 148sqm 6LDK

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
UeNSaVOr

Post by UeNSaVOr »

So I've found a property and am thinking about taking the plunge (depending upon what the local farmer's association says about me being able to farm field attached to the akiya). I would probably want 40amp service for now, but a fair number of breakers because I tend to have lots of kitchen stuff running at the same time and also have band/musician stuff as a hobby.

I'm waiting on more detail from the city's akiya bank, but the listing says "水回り電気系統の機能保証なし。" so I'm assuming replacing some or all of the electrical is in my future. Also no clue how modern it is or how much work it would turn out to be. Has anyone had their entire interior wiring replaced before? How much did it cost?

It also sounds like there's some fun plumbing work that may need to be done but, depending upon what it is, I could probably repair it myself.

Thanks!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Probably the easiest way to get an idea for the price is to have an electrician or two give the property a look over and supply a quote.

UeNSaVOr

Post by UeNSaVOr »

Yeah, that's what I plan to do when things progress a bit. The property is a 4-hour trip from where we live now and we don't have any connections in the immediate area, so I was wondering if anyone had any recent experience with a task like this. Since it will be my first time owning, I have zero idea of what things like this cost in Japan. Thanks!

Chuck2

Post by Chuck2 »

UeNSaVOr wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:19 am
Yeah, that's what I plan to do when things progress a bit. The property is a 4-hour trip from where we live now and we don't have any connections in the immediate area, so I was wondering if anyone had any recent experience with a task like this. Since it will be my first time owning, I have zero idea of what things like this cost in Japan. Thanks!
I would say to expect around 200000 to 400000 yen.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."

UeNSaVOr

Post by UeNSaVOr »

Perfect. I wasn't sure quite how many zeros were going to be on the end of the number, heh. Thank you!

Chuck2

Post by Chuck2 »

UeNSaVOr wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:00 am
Perfect. I wasn't sure quite how many zeros were going to be on the end of the number, heh. Thank you!
Sorry I was in a rush when writing my post, I forgot to add that 200000 to 400000yen is just for the electrical.

If you upgrade to a one of those self draining septic tanks. You are probably looking at 1000000 just for that but your town should probably have a grant to cover the majority of the costs.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."

UeNSaVOr

Post by UeNSaVOr »

Got it. It seems like I confused two listings with the sewer/plumbing parts; this can connect to the existing sewer (not septic) and the listing indicates that some/all of it has been paid. Thanks again!